WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

The front still has a tow hook port=) If the car ever ends up in a ditch, there will be more to worry about than dragging it out by a chain around the trailing arm=P lol The rear bumper also comes off very easily so I could just remove it and use the tow hook.

I would do that but I am just wondering why I am having an issue. The gaskets are all OEM so there shouldn't be any sizing issues. 

Agreed, makes sense on the tow hook...I assumed you were shaving the front too.

Maybe send those pics to ECS (assuming you purchased it through them), see what they have to say.  Based on the service you've gotten, and what I've personally experienced, they would probably be eager to help.

My new hubs came from ECS yesterday. Since we had issues with the SKF bearings twice they upgraded me to the FAG bearings at no charge=)

CAM00646_zpsanbbmkq4.jpg

CAM00645_zpsooaur5pv.jpg

They slid right onto the spindle of the knuckle and they fit perfectly around the inner dust covers. I got my studs installed right away too. 

CAM00647_zpsi6d18b1l.jpg

CAM00649_zps8i21kdbx.jpg

I need to find some Evercoat Polyflex for my rear bumper as a finishing filler. I also need to grab a sanding block. Once I get those I will work on the bumper=) 

I leave you with an old booty shot (you can see how the bottom edge of the bumper isn't flat where the exhaust cutout was shaved)

2014-03-31-18-47-06_zpsgifwx9uj.jpg

I fiddled with the bumper a bit last night. 

I will hopefully get the feel for it after a little more time. Right now I am in the phase where I feel like I am going to mess it all up and have the body lines all wrong. 

Bought this guy

CAM00663_zps2spq0csv.jpg

I then started flattening the bottom of the bumper and taking down the epoxy on the tow hook cover

CAM00670_zpsx4z806lm.jpg

CAM00671_zps5q9gzv3e.jpg

CAM00672_zpspnrhscmd.jpg

The features that I am afraid to mess up are the edge above the tow hook cover, the recessed line, and the curve of the lower skirt. I am trying to figure out what motion to use the block to keep the upper edge from losing its tight curve. I feel like I am easing the curve but when looking at it from the side it seems I haven't messed it up. There is a lot to do yet but I will stick with it=)

So Saturday wasn't too bad of a day.

I started by mocking up my e46 skirts

CAM00690_zps4djitrp4.jpg

CAM00691_zps1oy9vm20.jpg

It is really hard to tell how they will look with no front fender on, and the car in the air. I would also really like to shave the raised center to give it a nice smooth look similar to the AC Schnitzer skirts. 

After that I lubricated my cams, timing chain, and chain guides with engine assembly lube before buttoning the covers up. I then installed my upper timing cover

CAM00697_zpsn1cyje2v.jpg

And then installed my water pump and thermostat housing

CAM00699_zps6lvggafb.jpg

The thermostat housing is only on hand tight at the moment because I got the wrong gasket and my thermostat didn't come with an o-ring. 

The valve cover is only one because I had to tighten it down to seat the timing cover on the profile gasket properly. I was told that the pressure down on it should seat the end of the profile gasket that wasn't sitting well. I sure hope it works out. I put a large dab of silicone on the inside edges like the Bentley specifies. I also put a small dab on the outside edge. If it leaks it still shouldn't be a hard fix=)

My buddy Greaser Kyle made it out and shaved all of the unneeded holes in my radiator support that you will be able to see

CAM00703_zps48xiezok.jpg

CAM00704_zpstfmuydai.jpg

I found a great condition black carpet that should be shipped out today. I have also been contemplating buying aftermarket rear strut mounts since my e46 m3 vert mounts don't look like they held up too well. I was looking at either choosing Rogue Engineering mounts of the Ground Control mounts. I ended up opting for the Ground Control mounts because they are poly and seemed to be made a little beefier. Those should be shipping out today as well=)

Here is my canvas of a back window

CAM00705_zpsjv19z0kl.jpg

Hopefully all of the microscratches will buff out lol

Achieved zero progress over the weekend. The girlfriends rear drums brakes proved to be a weekend long endeavor. 

These came in however:

IMG_20140421_131351_zpsva4owqgr.jpg

CAM00721_zpsrp72kbjw.jpg

I will be installing those Saturday, as well as installing my new sway bar endlinks, bushings, brackets, and hardware. 

I will also be getting the inside of the valve cover cleaned out and then installing it for good on the engine. 

I gave my friend Greaser Kyle the pass code for the garage door so that he can work on the bay/shaving while I am not there so we can get this done=) 

I made the purchase of a more period correct steering wheel yesterday=)

This means that my Grip Royal Grain with the horn button will be for sale shortly. 

IMAG0490.jpg

Obviously it is in brand new shape since the car has never been driven with it and I bought it brand new. 

The new wheel is an Italvolanti that I found for an excellent price and it was one of the only wheels that I could find that I thought would flow well with the OEM+ vibe and is 350mm. 

I will post a pic once it arrives and is installed so that I can make sure it looks as fitting as I am hoping. 

Other than that I painted the proper side of my waterpump pulley last night since I painted the wrong side before=P 

CAM00722_zpsrkr5y4hy.jpg

Saturday should involve me installing my Ground Control RSMs, swaybar endlinks/bushings/brackets/hardware, and possibly starting to replace the wheel bearings.