WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

3 hours ago, retoropak said:

I will be fabbing up some exhaust today. I have my 3" downpipe and vibrant resonator welded up but it terminates right behind the driver seat. I already tacked under the axle portion. There is not much clearance between driveshaft and body right before the rear subframe. I will need to oval that 3" to keep the clearance. I should be done today. Will shoot some pictures later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good, thanks! Anxious to see the ground clearance of the exhaust under the subframe with oval tubing. I just hate seeing exhaust hanging low when looking at the car, so your pics may persuade me one way or another.

I have been talking with the tech at North Hollywood Speedometer who is working on my speedo and there's good news and bad news. Bad news is that the e21 speedo CANNOT be converted to electronic the way that an older bmw speedo can (aka 2002 speedo). The good news (with some bad mixed in) is that they can utilize a speedbox that gets mounted under dash or in engine bay. This speedbox takes a gps, vss, or canbus singal for speed and converts it to spin the mechanical cable that connects to original speedo. They will need to make a custom cable that has the bmw thread on one end and the GM thread on the other to connect to the speedbox. All this is costing more than initially planned, but I am getting fed up with trying to get this speedo issue figured out. Will update with pics when I receive the speedbox and cable.

This might seem like a dumb question at this point, but why cant you use the factory sensor in the rear diff?

Original speedo is cable driven. He would have to swap e28/e30speedo which i believe are different diameter.

I have the same issue i will most likely save some money and use the stack dash and get rid of other gauges.

6 hours ago, retoropak said:

Original speedo is cable driven. He would have to swap e28/e30speedo which i believe are different diameter.

I have the same issue i will most likely save some money and use the stack dash and get rid of other gauges.

3 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

With the speedbox converter, I WILL be using the sensor (VSS) in the medium case rear diff.

That makes sense, I was just thinking it was electrical. 

Ah so you did go above subframe. Good man!

I picked up more welding gas and SS wire. Hoping to get the exhaust fully welded up to just behind axle (minus the vbands I need to order to put before and after subframe). Then it's making up my mind with how to do the rear exit. Standard location? Duals? Center exhaust with splitter?

Got more exhaust work done. It's fully welded to right behind the diff as well as hangers created and welded in too. I ordered another flowmaster hp2 resonator, this time the shorty version to put out back. Should work a lot better for the center exhaust with diffuser look I'm going for. A matte black oval tip has also been ordered to finish it off.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk