WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

Havent updated this is a long time. After finally getting all my stuff welded by Dan the muffler man, I got the exhaust all buttoned up, charge piping installed, fuel hoses to fuel rail on, coolant hoses mostly on, vacuumed lines routed, started cutting out the rustly floors and also got the driver side seat mounts in and welded. this is the part of the build that really gets ya. A lot of small stuff that nickel and dimes ya till its finally done. It'll all be worth it tho

• 3 weeks later...

Finished up connecting random coolant and vacuum lines. Started getting the wiring situated with soldering in the IAT sensor and doing a little modifying for the wideband, but ran into a problem. Turns on the o2 sensor plug and the oil pressure switch plug were cut off of the e30 harness I got. So I now have to cut open the harness to dig them out far enough to extend the wires. There goes my nice clean looking wiring harness. :(

Anybody have a pic of where the oil pressure switch wire comes out of the harness, so I can search for any sign of what's left of that wire on mine? I found where the o2 sensor wires were cut.

Got the o2 sensor wires pulled, extended and soldered up, cleaned up wires under the dash behind radio, mounted the megasquirt ECU under glovebox area along with wideband controller. Also wired up the IAT sensor.

998ca872ac4ec1741144ae536573c1f4.jpg2eabd1cf0fe68ea39e7bb9327c0a4284.jpg

Next is adding engine oil, coolant, trans fluid, running the boost line for Megasquirt, siphoning out old gas and refilling with fresh gas and give it a test start.

Hopefully tomorrow after going to brewers game or this week.

Got 5 quarts of engine oil in (one small leak I need to fix), coolant filled up and trans filled with redline MTL. Figured I should see what the fuel looks like from sitting for such a long time... Removed the hose connecting the 2 tanks to drain and this is what came out :blink:

506c7f73acc91fa2a30e46eac9979d2c.jpg

Looks like I'll be dropping the tanks, cleaning them out and sealing them with kbs fuel tank sealer. First start up has officially been postponed. Might even remove the fuel accumulator and replace the fuel filter and pump with e30 units.