WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

I guarantee you are pulling hotter IATs with this setup after a couple pulls. While the turbo itself certainly impacts temps, you are going to be starting with hotter air to begin with. All your air is now being pulled into the car from the hot side of a turbo motor and your filters are just sitting there with no ducting pushing cold air from the outside into them. There's a reason BMW engineers put the intake for both n54 and n55 on the cold side of the engine. Heatsoak is a well-known and documented issue on these engines. Doing anything that involves putting your air filters on the hot side is going to exacerbate that problem. Sending in colder air to begin with will reduce the total amount of heat transfer that the turbo gives off to the air as it passes through to the intercooler. 

This won't be a problem if you aren't running hot laps - I am just making an observation based on physics. Your car will still obviously be making great gains from this. I think you should explore what you said about maybe making an air duct. 

For now, though, probably just go flog on it when the weather is better ;) 

Just don't be one of those "paint your intercooler black" dudes :lol:

1 hour ago, i_love_cars said:

I guarantee you are pulling hotter IATs with this setup after a couple pulls. While the turbo itself certainly impacts temps, you are going to be starting with hotter air to begin with. All your air is now being pulled into the car from the hot side of a turbo motor and your filters are just sitting there with no ducting pushing cold air from the outside into them. There's a reason BMW engineers put the intake for both n54 and n55 on the cold side of the engine. Heatsoak is a well-known and documented issue on these engines. Doing anything that involves putting your air filters on the hot side is going to exacerbate that problem. Sending in colder air to begin with will reduce the total amount of heat transfer that the turbo gives off to the air as it passes through to the intercooler. 

This won't be a problem if you aren't running hot laps - I am just making an observation based on physics. Your car will still obviously be making great gains from this. I think you should explore what you said about maybe making an air duct. 

For now, though, probably just go flog on it when the weather is better ;) 

Just don't be one of those "paint your intercooler black" dudes :lol:

No doubt my IATs will be higher. Not denying that. I plan on creating some sort of air duct and possibly wrapping the pipes, but we will see.

I might have to dig up some old logs and compare differences. I was running stock intercooler before (headsoak city up in that bish). The 7" should almost cancel out the higher IATs. We will see.

17 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

also agree on not running meth. I am holding off on that as well. Especially having port injection options now - fueling can be dealt with in such a way that meth isn't as necessary unless you are absolutely trying to max out power. More hassle than it's worth otherwise IMO. 

When will your car race-ready? I'd love to do a pull against you, see how they compare. Maybe at one of the WIBimmers meets this year?

Meth, not even once.

If I ever get a new intercooler I will definitely be applying high emissivity coatings to it. Something to consider if you need to bring temps down without meth/changing the entire intake setup. Some folks have never heard of it before so I thought i'd mention it

Just dont be one of those "paint your intercooler" black dudes

On 3/24/2016 at 4:58 PM, Snap said:

Meth, not even once.

If I ever get a new intercooler I will definitely be applying high emissivity coatings to it. Something to consider if you need to bring temps down without meth/changing the entire intake setup. Some folks have never heard of it before so I thought i'd mention it

High emissivity coatings? I'd be one of the folks who have never heard of it before. Please explain...

A lot of hate on the black intercoolers here. I just came to flaunt my black intercooler. It's the stealthiest. 
I would also like to post this for your viewing pleasure. It is not the most scientific of experiments, but I can say I was surprised by the results. 
I did not use standard spray paint as they did, I used radiator paint which is much thinner. 

I quite enjoy the new plate!

i hate to be that guy that derails a thread (ok actually i don't), but there's better physics and math being applied by EE about this whole black intercooler thing. Basically do it if you want the aesthetics of black, but don't assume you're getting better performance because in real terms, you aren't. 

52 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

i hate to be that guy that derails a thread (ok actually i don't), but there's better physics and math being applied by EE about this whole black intercooler thing. Basically do it if you want the aesthetics of black, but don't assume you're getting better performance because in real terms, you aren't

I agree, I should have stated that the "cooling benefit" they find is not that relevant. 
I like my black intercooler, you cannot see it behind my grills. 
#stealthmodeengaged #exceptformyreallyloudexhaust

1 hour ago, suspenceful said:

I've heard my fair share of HWY 100 stories, but have never been down there. Maybe later this summer... it's not on the top of my to-do list.

Wouldn't mind throwing a few bucks down on roll races though.

Speed limit is 35, not going to work for your 60 roll haha. 

For real though, don't bother coming down to hwy 100. You're not missing anything. 

Meth, not even once.

High emissivity coatings? I'd be one of the folks who have never heard of it before. Please explain...

So busy trolling that I missed this.

Emissivity is an objects ability to give off radiant energy (blackbody radiation/heat). The coatings allow greater heat transfer. When used on gas stove burners it is quoted that fuel savings are 5-10% due to the greater thermal efficiency

So its a simple way to improve an intercoolers efficiency

I have my current intercooler painted black but only for aesthetics. I sprayed at an angle to avoid getting paint inside the fins