WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

43 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

http://turbolabofamerica.com/bmw-135i-535i-335i-turbo-wastegate-rattle-repair-fix/

3 seconds of google begs to differ. 

I do recall them being in good shape, and I could see it being a lot of work to do those. 

I should've clarified... no fix available that doesn't require removing the turbos.

A few people have used those Turbo Lab parts, but most just put in upgraded twins since they need to be removed anyways.

Lol, if this isn't the most depressing log I've ever seen.

Doesn't hit full boost on these tiny twins until 5k RPMs. Everyone else hits max boost at like 3k RPMs. It's a solid 3.5psi under target the whole way as well.

After I took the log posted below (~91 pump gas), I filled up with an E55 mix and was able to hit 16.5psi.

I have a weird suspicion that JB4 isn't helping me right now. I might try just flashing the ECU with MHD instead of using a piggyback to see if I can gain some spool time and boost back. Otherwise... it's time to start stacking cash for a turbo upgrade.

Wrp0eem.jpg

11 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Ouch!  I'm so thankful I was able to get my turbos taken care of under warranty when I did.  Bright side, you're going to have one hell of a car once your all done!  700whp or bust!

I'm kicking myself for not being more persistant about it. Everything else on the car is new and I just walnut blasted it as well.

We'll see what it puts down on the dyno in two weeks. I have a feeling it'll still be decent numbers, but not what I was initially hoping for.

rofl Pat. 700 whp on the street would be utterly useless in this car. You would need to be able to stuff a 295 or 305 tire on the back to have any prayer of hooking up and that is physically impossible without ponying up for widebody flares + paint == a few thousand bucks, and if you don't do the front flares as well your 135i then looks completely retarded. 

with slicks at airstrip race events you could get away with 265s but on street tires, no chance of traction unless you are running wider. Don't encourage him to ruin his car :D 

6 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

rofl Pat. 700 whp on the street would be utterly useless in this car. You would need to be able to stuff a 295 or 305 tire on the back to have any prayer of hooking up and that is physically impossible without ponying up for widebody flares + paint == a few thousand bucks, and if you don't do the front flares as well your 135i then looks completely retarded. 

with slicks at airstrip race events you could get away with 265s but on street tires, no chance of traction unless you are running wider. Don't encourage him to ruin his car :D 

Utterly useless... but not impossible.  

1 minute ago, patsbimmer1 said:

So what's physically changed with your car?  Was it the flash tune?

Nope. It was my dumbass fault. When I was installing inlets, I tried tightening the wastegate rod to eliminate the rattling. After seeing the poor performance, I wondered if I loosened it instead. I got under the car and beat the shit out of my arms to spin the rod the other way. Sure enough I actually loosened the rod the first time around. Now that it's tightened back up, the car hauls ass.

Whipped up a custom kill tune for a glory run on the dyno and if I need the edge during a street race. I can switch to this map with a press of a button on the steering wheel. Targets 23psi with a slight taper to redline. Probably room for a little more, but I don't want to push the limits (I already am, LOL).

eXVq3Fs.jpg

Also took a picture of my car while I was out.

26460391582_b9e5ff9b45_b.jpg
Old Gas Station by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

What does your timing look like?

Custom Map 6:
http://www.datazap.me/u/suspenceful/fbo-inlets-custom-map-6-w-mhd-e85-flash-e56?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-12-25-26-27-28-29&trim=0&tmin=1.75&tmax=92.73

Map 7:
http://www.datazap.me/u/suspenceful/fbo-inlets-map-7-w-mhd-e85-flash-e60-0?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-12-18-25-26-27-28-29&trim=0&tmin=3.25&tmax=119.39

Overall, I think it'll be fine for a dyno run or if I need it. Timing is pretty good overall. A few drops map 6, but I think it might be sensing false knock.

4 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

that's gross, in a good way. Are you still getting on the dyno before NFZ??  You should just run at 23 target all the time so your turbos burn out faster and you have a good reason to upgrade :D 

Yup, dyno tomorrow. I'll see what it puts down on my custom map, but I'm going to dyno on map 7 as well. That's the map I plan on running most of the time. Not trying to blow these up. Besides the rattle, they seem to be holding up just fine!

18 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

wtf you doin on the dyno in Blizzaks !?? ;)   What tires are you currently running and what are the new ones you are putting on? 

Lol, currently have some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (all-seasons) with barely any tread left. Putting on some brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sports (PSS).

It made 497wtq on the first run before the guy let off because it was spinning.

14 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

yep that makes a lot of sense lol. where are you dyno'ing on Friday? Are you going to be in MKE still on your way to NFZ? If you are dyno'ing nearby maybe I can stop out. I will be downtown.

I contacted Late Model Throttle and they said they'd do it, just waiting to hear back about availability. I will be staying in Milwaukee Wednesday and Thursday night. Would probably dyno on Friday our way to NFZ. If you'd like to stop by, I can give you the time if LMT has an open slot.