WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

peak power on this thing is going to be sick. I haven't followed N54 quite as closely in the past 2 years but when I was running an N54, people were capping at like 450 whp on e85 and meth. Now you have upgraded inlet pipes which didn't exist back then, so considering you aren't on meth, but balancing it out with the increase flow from the bigger inlets....yea, I think 475/525 give or take is a pretty realistic number to hit. 

like bk335 I am also curious to see the chart. I wonder if the stock turbos hold their breath a bit longer now with the larger inlets ? 

13 hours ago, bk335 said:

Have figured out what your boost target and taper will be?

Not yet. If this stupid Wisconsin weather would cooperate, I'd be able to get it on the road.

11 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

peak power on this thing is going to be sick. I haven't followed N54 quite as closely in the past 2 years but when I was running an N54, people were capping at like 450 whp on e85 and meth. Now you have upgraded inlet pipes which didn't exist back then, so considering you aren't on meth, but balancing it out with the increase flow from the bigger inlets....yea, I think 475/525 give or take is a pretty realistic number to hit. 

like bk335 I am also curious to see the chart. I wonder if the stock turbos hold their breath a bit longer now with the larger inlets ? 

There are a few N54 cars above 500whp now on stock turbos. With inlets and good, non-rattling turbos, they're able to peak at 26psi. Obviously this isn't good for the turbos but those tiny suckers are able to hit it with inlets. I would never daily that much boost through them.

I installed the 3.5 BAR TMAP sensor and plan on targeting around 20psi, but we'll see if my 110k mile turbos will obey commands. I already had problems hitting targets over 18psi last year because my wastegate flappers won't stay shut, lol. Hopefully the inlets, all new vacuum lines, and two new boost solenoids with the 3.5 BAR TMAP will help.

Inlets definetly allow the turbos to hold boost longer, it's one of the main benefits. Everyone says the continued pull past 5500 RPMs is what makes them feel so good.

1 hour ago, suspenceful said:

Not yet. If this stupid Wisconsin weather would cooperate, I'd be able to get it on the road.

There are a few N54 cars above 500whp now on stock turbos. With inlets and good, non-rattling turbos, they're able to peak at 26psi. Obviously this isn't good for the turbos but those tiny suckers are able to hit it with inlets. I would never daily that much boost through them.

I installed the 3.5 BAR TMAP sensor and plan on targeting around 20psi, but we'll see if my 110k mile turbos will obey commands. I already had problems hitting targets over 18psi last year because my wastegate flappers won't stay shut, lol. Hopefully the inlets, all new vacuum lines, and two new boost solenoids with the 3.5 BAR TMAP will help.

Inlets definetly allow the turbos to hold boost longer, it's one of the main benefits. Everyone says the continued pull past 5500 RPMs is what makes them feel so good.

Did you get new turbos? I remember you had pretty bad rattle a while back. I'm interested to see if you can hold the boost high up if you are still on the old rattling turbos. 

Edit: Didn't read the part about 110k mile turbos. 

that's what i would have guessed, regarding holding boost longer. Mostly what I got out of this response was "my car has 110k miles on it which means I'm going to upgrade turbos very shortly"  AMIRITE?!

10 minutes ago, bk335 said:

Did you get new turbos? I remember you had pretty bad rattle a while back. I'm interested to see if you can hold the boost high up if you are still on the old rattling turbos. 

Nope, still on the same turbos. I checked them when I installed inlets. No shaft play, no leaking or burning oil. Just the dreaded rattle from the wastegate flapper, it's a shame because they seem to be in great condition otherwise.

1 minute ago, i_love_cars said:

that's what i would have guessed, regarding holding boost longer. Mostly what I got out of this response was "my car has 110k miles on it which means I'm going to upgrade turbos very shortly"  AMIRITE?!

Once these give up or I want even more power, I'll be going with a top-mount single :)

11 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

Nope, still on the same turbos. I checked them when I installed inlets. No shaft play, no leaking or burning oil. Just the dreaded rattle from the wastegate flapper, it's a shame because they seem to be in great condition otherwise.

Once these give up or I want even more power, I'll be going with a top-mount single :)

Top mount single..:wub:

I guess I'm incredibly likely that mine don't rattle at all at 99k and can hold over 19psi to 5500. 

Took my first log last night. The car won't make over 15psi because of the shitty turbos. The wastegate flapper won't stay shut and allow them to build proper boost.

Overall, pretty disappointed. The car still pulls pretty good, but this sucks. Upgraded twins or bigger single...

On that note we should still run this weekend LOL. Sorry to hear about the turbos tho, but thats not the worst thing. Just motivation to make it better! 

45 minutes ago, tsweers89 said:

Hexon rr600 are a great DD option or the 700s if you want to go big HP with PI. Eitherway I think for the money hexon is the way to go. Otherwise if going single look for a used Motiv or VM kit. The fftec and jpworks kits just aren't that great as far as craftsman ship goes.

I was looking at the RR600s today, great option for the money. Same price as VVT Stage 2 though. PURE Turbos offer upgraded twins with stock-sized inlet snouts, meaning I could re-use my inlets instead of having to buy new ones. That'd be cool.

Motiv makes an awesome single kit, but very expensive. I was thinking of piecing my own together with some parts from the JPWorks kit. I've heard good and bad things, but right now it's just a pipe dream anyways. No funds. I'll run these stockers until they blow.

30 minutes ago, Rowleym said:

On that note we should still run this weekend LOL. Sorry to hear about the turbos tho, but thats not the worst thing. Just motivation to make it better! 

I'm always down. I still have a dyno appointment for the 22nd, so we'll see what kind of power she puts down on 15psi. Numbers aren't going to be where I was hoping, but oh well. I already have the motivation to make it better, just not the funds :(

5 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

I was looking at the RR600s today, great option for the money. Same price as VVT Stage 2 though. PURE Turbos offer upgraded twins with stock-sized inlet snouts, meaning I could re-use my inlets instead of having to buy new ones. That'd be cool.

Motiv makes an awesome single kit, but very expensive. I was thinking of piecing my own together with some parts from the JPWorks kit. I've heard good and bad things, but right now it's just a pipe dream anyways. No funds. I'll run these stockers until they blow.

Stay away from VVT. Have installed 2 sets that took a crap within 5k miles. I think hexon and pure are on the same level, so why not save some money going with hexon. If going single you either pay up or don't do it at all. There is a reason the good single kits cost as much as they do. You can find a used VM kit for about $5-6k. 

16 minutes ago, tsweers89 said:

Stay away from VVT. Have installed 2 sets that took a crap within 5k miles. I think hexon and pure are on the same level, so why not save some money going with hexon. If going single you either pay up or don't do it at all. There is a reason the good single kits cost as much as they do. You can find a used VM kit for about $5-6k. 

I don't like the way Tony conducts himself online so I don't think I could ever buy anything from him anyways.

Just curious, what do you charge for install on some Hexons (for example)? PM me if needed, thanks.

So you have mentioned that the wastegates wont stay shut due to the flapper and worn parts correct? Would it no be possible to make some bushings for the actuator arm to the wastegate "lever" to eliminate the play? Or do the wastegate actuators themselves start wearing? 
If I remember correctly, when I was doing your inlet I noticed that there was a lot of play between the actuator and the linkage on the turbo, if that slop was gone it would keep the wastegate flap in the turbo shut, no?

5 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

So you have mentioned that the wastegates wont stay shut due to the flapper and worn parts correct? Would it no be possible to make some bushings for the actuator arm to the wastegate "lever" to eliminate the play? Or do the wastegate actuators themselves start wearing? 
If I remember correctly, when I was doing your inlet I noticed that there was a lot of play between the actuator and the linkage on the turbo, if that slop was gone it would keep the wastegate flap in the turbo shut, no?

Bingo. There is slop between the arm and lever. Also a little in the seat itself.

It's not fun to get at the rear turbo, but can be done. The front is impossible to get to without dropping the subframe or pulling the motor. There aren't any "off-the-shelf" solutions available, but I'm sure with some creativity... something can be made. If you're feeling creative, I'd love to test stuff out. Otherwise to me, I'm better off upgrading the turbos anyways at 110k miles. When doing the inlets, I checked them and they were in really good condition besides this stupid wastegate problem. No shaft play, no leaking oil on either turbo.

I made these to show it better:

wOoj4GI.jpg

vznMpW4.jpg

31 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

Bingo. There is slop between the arm and lever. Also a little in the seat itself.

It's not fun to get at the rear turbo, but can be done. The front is impossible to get to without dropping the subframe or pulling the motor. There aren't any "off-the-shelf" solutions available, but I'm sure with some creativity... something can be made. If you're feeling creative, I'd love to test stuff out.

http://turbolabofamerica.com/bmw-135i-535i-335i-turbo-wastegate-rattle-repair-fix/

3 seconds of google begs to differ. 

I do recall them being in good shape, and I could see it being a lot of work to do those.