WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

So apparently I suck at updating this thread.

Exciting news! I bought Precision Raceworks inlets, VRSF 7" intercooler, VRSF charge pipe and a TIAL blow off valve. I scored a deal on a pair of 265/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports back in October from Discount Tire Direct for $384 shipped. Hoping to hit 525wtq on stock turbos and I hope I can put it to the ground :)

I'm especially excited about the inlets, but I also bought some Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors and pads. Got some Motul brake fluid to do a complete flush as well. I plan on painting the calipers gold but we will see.

I also bought and installed new injectors (index 12), coils, and plugs a few weeks ago. Pretty sure I had a leaky injector, but this should keep all the misfires away. It's basically maintenance on an N54. This is what $1,000 on a stainless steel table looks like.

1516440_186888314998168_1337162155_n.jpg

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I've got the stop tech pads and noticed a great difference over stock pads.  The bite is great on them!  What kind of gains are guys seeing with the inlets on stock turbos?

Nice, I'm looking forward to them. I've never had drilled/slotted rotors before and I heard they make a big difference

Inlets have been shown to gain up to 40-50 whp and wtq. Can't wait!

59 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

sofa king awesome. I will be curious to know if you feel like you need to go bigger turbo after this upgrade. I feel like 500 hp is about the limit I'd want for anything i took on the street in the n54/n55 platform. 

I will always have the need for more power, but I think this will be the limit before I invest in an LSD and better suspension.

I got a treat this weekend... I was able to beat on my friend's FBO 335i with Hexons and inlets. Running 25-28psi, it pulled really hard and spooled really fast. I'd guess it's around 525whp with a really heavy clutch. Felt awesome. He has an MHD flash and got rid of the annoying shift lag between gears. I could slam gears and the power was instantly there. I can't wait to get my stuff installed now!

17 hours ago, suspenceful said:

I will always have the need for more power, but I think this will be the limit before I invest in an LSD and better suspension.

I got a treat this weekend... I was able to beat on my friend's FBO 335i with Hexons and inlets. Running 25-28psi, it pulled really hard and spooled really fast. I'd guess it's around 525whp with a really heavy clutch. Felt awesome. He has an MHD flash and got rid of the annoying shift lag between gears. I could slam gears and the power was instantly there. I can't wait to get my stuff installed now!

yea you'll definitely be struggling to put power down without those items.  

lol @ that, why would you punish yourself by driving that car in the middle of winter when you know you know you can't drive your own for at least another 1.5 months. I would go insane. It's hard enough for me to keep my car in the garage as it is 

8 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

yea you'll definitely be struggling to put power down without those items.  

lol @ that, why would you punish yourself by driving that car in the middle of winter when you know you know you can't drive your own for at least another 1.5 months. I would go insane. It's hard enough for me to keep my car in the garage as it is 

I know... this is the first year I haven't driven my E82 through the snow. But it's worth it!

New Parts! by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

59 minutes ago, Chris Welter said:

Not sure if you figured out your bluetooth or not, but FYI I was able to snag a cigarette lighter bluetooth module from bestbuy I plugged in via aux in my center console.. its completeley hidden and I have bluetooth music now.  I think it was like $20, I could be wrong though. 

57 minutes ago, Chris Welter said:

LOL FYI as well, more power is never the answer.. the lust for more never stops..  Good looking ride though man and looks like a fun build!

Do you have a link to the Bluetooth unit you have?

And thanks! I could probably have 1000whp and still want more...

8 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

Do you have a link to the Bluetooth unit you have?

And thanks! I could probably have 1000whp and still want more...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rockford-fosgate-rfbtaux-universal-bluetooth-audio-adapter/1310107496.p?id=mp1310107496&skuId=1310107496 

that one is pretty close to what I have.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been slowing plugging away at the install of all my new parts. Inlets were a bitch, just like I expected. Not all the way done yet, but very close. Waiting on some new silicone vacuum line I ordered before I button them up. I'll add pictures of this install later.

Since I'm waiting on vacuum hose, I took off my intake manifold to tap a larger 1/4" vacuum port for my new Tial BOV. The factory nipple isn't big enough.

25019232613_1ced0de073_z.jpg
Capped OEM Port by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

25278390479_e6636ee5e9_z.jpg
Drill New Hole by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

25350328870_dbd49bc419_z.jpg
Tap New Hole by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

25019231563_946d845395_z.jpg
Tape and Thread by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

25350328030_8ba107e5a5_z.jpg
Add Epoxy by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

Oh... and once the manifold was off, I saw how gross my valves were! Take a look.

25645983805_1f4b110499_z.jpg

I don't think A-Spec tuning really cleaned them, but I have no proof. So, I just bought everything needed to do walnut blasting, including the BMW adapter tools. More to come on that this weekend, but I'm willing to hook up WIBimmers peeps with direct injection vehicles!

Also, I have the following parts on the way:

• Flex fuel sensor and quick-connect fuel connectors (for Bluetooth ethanol content analyzer kit)
  • 2-step and No-Lift Shift relay (for bang-pop noises)
  • New OEM boost pressure solenoids (mine are currently leaking)
  • 3.5 BAR TMAP sensor and harness adapter (for higher boost readings)
  • Heavy duty RB PCV valve
  • New driver's side mirror glass (mine is currently rusty/peeling)
  • Downpipe gaskets/hardware
  • Throttle body gasket
  • Intake manifold gaskets
  • Everything for oil changes on my 135i and 325xiT

So many parts to install, including all my new brake stuff!

14 minutes ago, tsweers89 said:

Do you have a catch can? Pending how many miles you have put on since 2014 it's very possible that's all new build up. 

A-Spec claimed to do it at 84k. BMS catch can installed at 87k. Currently at 109k, so about 25k since the first supposed walnut blast.

It's possible that it was done, but I feel like that's a lot of build up for 25k miles with a catch can.

Either way, it won't hurt to do it again since the manifold is off :)

• 2 weeks later...

✓ Precision Raceworks inlets
✓ VRSF 7" intercooler
✓ VRSF charge pipe with TIAL BOV
✓ 3.5 BAR TMAP sensor
✓ RB PCV valve
✓ New boost solenoids
✓ Walnut blast (this was fun)
✓ Tapped manifold for 1/4" vacuum line, replaced gaskets
✓ Replaced every vacuum line on the car

25376329664_3560387a7b_c.jpg
The Bae by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

Next up:
- Download MHD and update tune
- Oil change
- Install all new brake parts, flush/fill brake fluid
- Install ethanol content analyzing system
- Install 2-step/no-lift-shift relay

that looks so much better than an N54 with stock inlets.

I still don't like the design of the hot side having the air filters now due to the aftermarket inlets, but I know the increased volume you get makes good power gains regardless and overpowers the hot air being pulled in. I would think a meth injection kit is practically a necessity using those inlets given how much heatsoak issues this engine already has. 

5 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

that looks so much better than an N54 with stock inlets.

I still don't like the design of the hot side having the air filters now due to the aftermarket inlets, but I know the increased volume you get makes good power gains regardless and overpowers the hot air being pulled in. I would think a meth injection kit is practically a necessity using those inlets given how much heatsoak issues this engine already has. 

I'd beg to differ. I might wrap them in heat-resistant material and create an air duct, but the increased air temp won't matter after going thru the glowing hot turbos. The 7" intercooler will do its job.

I doubt I will ever run meth. Maybe if we were in Texas or California. E85 and maybe port injection is as far as I'll go.