WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

driving bmw in winter?

RamRod E28

Question

On a more serious note, I've never owned a set of snow tires.  My cars have always been on good all season radials, and while snows would have provided more control, I know how to drive well enough that it's not an issue.

With that said, get a good set of snow tires and drive in a sane manner.

Same here, never had an issue. Driven e28/e36/e39s daily in the snow but I knew the cars and roads well. You can pick up good snow tires used too if you don't wanna invest in new ones.

Aside from all of the Rage Drifting, the main keys are good winter tires, good driving techniques, and keeping your lights and wheel openings clear of snow. Good winter tires can be either actual snow tires, or good quality all season tires. Either way, with a RWD car, you're best off with a set of four. Beyond that, drive at reasonable speeds where you can keep control of the car. My E30 is a beast in the snow, and drives almost like my wife's AWD. I have to watch myself to make sure I don't get over confident. 

its a car, a car that can be driven in winter ,  so what if it gets a little rusty, its going to happen sooner or later

So, if you had a bugatti veyron, you'd tool around all winter in the salt and watch it get rusty?

A blanket statement like that is stupid.  Some of us don;t want our cars to get rusty, ever and will do what we need to, to avoid it.  If someone has the means to be able to preserve the car they love then so be it.