WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Alpine e30 progress/build thread

m42b32

I did some more research and found that the M54B30 is probably the most likely of any m/s5x to throw the oil pump nut or shear the shaft. It experiences really bad crank harmonics above 6k rpm, likely due to the aluminum block. I figure $200 for the hardened pump shaft is cheap insurance compared to blowing up a motor and ruining all this work I've done. 

Decided to pull the oil pump apart to inspect it before I order anything. Oil pump nut was 'tight', but didn't take that much force to remove. It definitely took more force to remove the one on my M3 by comparison. The internals don't look bad, but I don't really know what I'm looking at so I figured I'd post some pictures and get your opinions:

25664936857_7ff60917a3_b.jpg

38725344800_a0f1236883_b.jpg

40535439301_feff4e9e1a_b.jpg

There was some minor scoring on the bore and the outside of the outer rotor. I can barely feel it when running my fingernail over it on both parts. There is some discoloration/wear where in places on the inner rotor, but it isn't rough to the touch or anything like that. Not much scoring on the inside of the cover or back of the housing. Are these in usable condition or should I replace them with new ones?

Another note, when I pulled them apart I noticed dimples stamped into each rotor. Are these supposed to line up for assembly or do they not really matter as long as it spins smoothly? The outer rotor had the dimple facing the cover, while the inner had it on the inside. Didn't seem to be any correlation between the two. 

I google'd the sh!t out of it and there really wasn't much information on what is considered good and junk, thanks for the feedback! I'll be installing an oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on things anyway, so I'm just going to put these back in along with an Achilles pump shaft and call it good to go. 

Stopped by the garage again last night and got a few more things done. 

Modified the windage tray and got it bolted back onto the block. All that needed to be done was cut off the rear mount for the pickup tube. Some sources online stated that you need to add a stud to mount the 728i front sump pickup tube, but that is not the case on mine. There is a threaded feature on the oil pump body itself that lines up perfectly! The stud must be needed on the early m54 or m52tu that uses a slightly different pump, but I'm not sure. 

I also cleaned up the power steering pump, alternator, and belt tensioner/pulleys. The alternator took a bath in ATF during the donor car's accident, so I flushed out the body with a bit of brake cleaner. I also disassembled it as far as it would go and cleaned the regulator and it's contacts, as well as all the electrical connections under the cover. The part of the rear cover that connects to the duct was broken off and isn't repairable, so I trimmed the plastic back so that it would look a little nicer until I can find a replacement cover. It is the typical Bosch 120A unit that is used on a lot of different cars, so once the engine is in and running, I'd like to find a back cover that allows me to cleanly attach a duct setup that fits the e30 chassis. 

39652134665_d7d57ca549_b.jpg

Got the alternator and accessory belt parts bolted back onto the engine, but I left off the power steering pump off till I have the oil pan sealed up. 

38737188790_b78d6b396a_b.jpg

Started working on cleaning up the e39 530i engine wire harnesses. Everything is sleeved in the ribbed plastic tubing and it has worn through or cracked in a lot of places so I am redoing  the entire harness in this braided harness wrap. Looks much nicer, but it is super tedious. Just waiting on the vanos oil feed line and the oil pump parts and I should be able to seal it up and start wiring. 

40543705552_97f76a85c6_b.jpg

Moving along slowly, but progress is progress. Installed a new VANOS oil feed line, bolted the front sump oil pickup tube to the pump, and started working on fitting the e46 oil level sensor to the e34 oil pan. I scraped the old seal out and replaced it with a new o-ring, but it turns out the studs on the pan are too short so I'll have to replace them with longer ones. Cleaned up and painted a few more brackets as well, but didn't get any pictures. 

I also got the m42 ready to pull. Everything is drained and disconnected, motor mounts unbolted, only thing left is to unbolt the trans mounts and hoist it out. Hoping to get it out by mid-week so I can start on the ABS delete/booster swap/etc. 

39863388385_233474ed8c_b.jpg

6 hours ago, snap said:

Why cant the E34 level sensor be used?

What booster are you going to use?

The plug on the e46 harness is different than the e34, and since I don't have a pigtail for the e34 sensor my initial plan was to delete it with a delete plate. Once I found that the e46 sensor is a direct bolt in to the e34 pan with longer studs I figured why not. I compared the two, and the oil level measuring points are pretty similar so it should be somewhat accurate. Initially, it won't have any functionality as the signal comes from the ECU and is communicated through CAN bus (that and I don't have a check panel), but there is a module than can convert the CAN signals to usable outputs. I'm pretty much just setting myself up for future projects.

For the booster I'll be using one from an e21 that I got from DrLeadFoot

Got some things done this week. I swapped the oil pump inner rotor over to the Achilles harneded oil pump shaft, just waiting on a new pressure relief spring and o-ring and I can get the oil pump buttoned up. 

Ebay had a sale so I picked up some VDO vision gauges to keep a closer eye on the new engine. Oil temp, oil pressure, and water temp gauges. I've had a console mounting plate sitting around for a while so I did a quick mock-up, should look fairly factory! I may color the cluster needles orange to make everything match, but that'll be a project for some other time. 

25968418477_003279c6d6_b.jpg

Biggest progress is the m42 is now sitting on the floor of my garage. So much room for activities!

40797883052_1f5dcffd3f_b.jpg

4 minutes ago, snap said:

What else needs to be done on the engine/trans to be ready to install it?  What trans are you using anyhow?

Keep up the great work! Perhaps you will find more deer blood at this level of disassembly 

I have definitely found some hair, there was A LOT so I'll probably keep finding it forever... hoping to keep the fluids at a minimum haha. Trans is a ZF 5-speed. 

Things I can think of remaining on the engine before I install it:

- Rear main seal

- Reassemble and prime oil pump

- Acquire/Install oil pan baffle (debating this one still)

- Reinstall oil pan

- Reinstall P/S pump and serpentine belt

- Modify oil filter housing (just filing down a rib) and install oil distribution block for pressure/temp gauge senders

- Clean and paint harmonic balancer, its a little crusty

- Modify driver's side engine mount arm so I can get the 4th bolt in (or get a later arm with the slotted hole that works)

- Install main/secondary engine harness (Remove auto-trans wiring from secondary harness)

- Clean up starter

- Clean trans (it's filthy) and replace shift shaft seal/selector rod joint

- Replace shift detent pins

- Resurface flywheel and pressure plate

- Probably a million other things

Probably going to have to re-adjust my picnic goal as I'll be out of town for at least 2 weekends between now and then, but I'd rather do that than cut corners to get it done. It'll be on the road this summer for sure!

3 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Probably going to have to re-adjust my picnic goal as I'll be out of town for at least 2 weekends between now and then, but I'd rather do that than cut corners to get it done. It'll be on the road this summer for sure!

My thoughts exactly. I hate rushing things and having to revisit them later. Do it right the first time I always say. 

40 minutes ago, Bassboy3313 said:

My thoughts exactly. I hate rushing things and having to revisit them later. Do it right the first time I always say. 

Agreed. I did a bit of rushing on some things last winter since I was hell bent on making it there, but now I'd like to take the time to fix those things and do it all right. Like last year I wired the electronic fan to be on with the ignition all the time as a quick 'get it done', which was annoying all summer, so now I'm going to re-wire it to a temp switch with a manual override like I should've in the first place.