WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

And they're off!

19410093121_63ca27fab5_b.jpg

First one done!  I think this fuel relay one was supposed to be on a relay.  I'll figure it out soon enough.

19410089761_1803c245b5_b.jpg

Got a good chunk started.  Also have a lot of questions.  

19379863706_1bcc7b4eda_b.jpg

19399714182_e0c0a9d4f2_b.jpg

Wire 27x on the expansion board harness goes to pin #7 on the monotronic side for the VVT.  Still going through the question marks one by one.

Turned my attention to the grounds.  I might take a different approach by making a separate grounding block that connects at the common chassis ground.  I'm fearful that I might be overloading some pins by attaching more than one ground wire.  Thoughts?

I still need to wire the coil drivers so there are 6 more grounds there.

19448029552_d0e423a845_b.jpg

18831845654_ffbe3523ea_b.jpg

On to the crank signal wires with the shielding.  I cut an old cable wire from the ceiling of my basement and cut/pealed the shielding to re-wrap the signal wires after I soldered them.

19454331585_c809f794da_b.jpg

19266769858_681ab456fc_b.jpg

Not too pretty but I'll wrap it in electrical tape to clean it up and secure it.
19266766328_90eaa28319_b.jpg

I need to get some 18 & 20 gauge wire and solder in my coils.  Any input on how to ground all these wires would be great.  Thanks for looking!

So happy I bought a full plug-and-play MS2 setup after seeing this.... Yikes.

I feel very overwhelmed at the moment but Snap and Derek (bimmerforums.com member) have been huge helps.  It is the unknowns that I have with how the software works that concern me.  I also feel like I need to put some resistors somewhere but I haven't looked into that yet.

Nah, just a lot of information checking. He will get it just fine

Your wife has to think you're having an affair with how many times I text you at all hours of the day/night.  #jakefromstatefarm

Home depot sells shielded wire too.

Grounding everything to the same chassis ground is definitely a great idea. I would be less worried about overloading grounds and only slightly more concerned with any noise in the signals due to shared grounds. A handful of the ground pins are the same on the harness (multiple pins with continuity to eachother) so that even isnt much of a concern depending on which components are grounded together.

Any excessive electrical noise for a component will how up in a log file . Youre going to love the diagnostic capability of being able to see what all your sensors are doing

Coils are all wired up.  I need to see if I need to run them to grounds coming from the harness or if I can just run them directly to the chassis ground.  I'm leaning towards running the grounds to the harness.

I disconnected the grounds from the MS3 and Expansion board from the pins.  I'll run these to the chassis ground for sure.  I don't want to overload those pins.

I still feel like I'm winging it so please help with any input.

A wired up coil.
19289200170_d7e2006923_b.jpg

From DBurt86's build thread:
http://s314.photobucket.com/user/dburt86/media/coil%20driver_zpssqcdevwu.png.html

All sealed up.
18856129703_a2097ce8b8_b.jpg

19289194050_cd567fc3f9_b.jpg