WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped

straight6pwr

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Not Matt, and today we are talkin' about crap.
  • 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

nexen nfera nogrips. only tires in 225/45r16 that weren't $600/set when i was looking.  i might sell my e34 summer wheels to fund some better rubber for next year :D

nogrips lol

I've got Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's (Bridgestone Potenza RE003 in the rest of the world). I would be lying if I said I didn't go home and immediately look up 200 treadwear tires that would fit my car

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today we are having fun driving
  • 2 weeks later...

another day, another 2/32" of tire gone.

ZPrymHF.jpg

Madison Sports Car Club setup a great course. It was more high speed than my first event, which was a fun change of pace.

sIh98aW.jpg

I remembered to setup my front camber to MAX and air up the tires to 45lbs, and it certainly made a difference. 

IELrLGc.jpg

Vh1wML4.jpg

joMNNdV.jpg

I met a couple of cool guys out there. A couple of other BMWs. I got to do a ride along in Sam's m3. Man, it feels fast from the passenger seat! I learned that I would love to have better brakes. The m3 brakes haul that thing down so much faster than the e30.

2MEgQOm.jpg

XHt9nou.jpg

Vince's m3.
uPnoP1Y.jpg

love those photos! I do wonder if the lack of droop on a low coilover setup is a hinderance to grip compared to a spring and damper combo that stays in contact with the road. I would think so but lots of fast racecars lift the front wheel so who am I to judge?!?

~45 psi is what some of my friends ran for autocross when I would spectate many many years ago

love those photos! I do wonder if the lack of droop on a low coilover setup is a hinderance to grip compared to a spring and damper combo that stays in contact with the road. I would think so but lots of fast racecars lift the front wheel so who am I to judge?!?

~45 psi is what some of my friends ran for autocross when I would spectate many many years ago

I guess it depends on the tire/suspension setup.

Typically you do bump them up for autox. Short runs with tight turns that cause tire rollover and variations in heat. The magic tire pressures vary by car, suspension, tire, driver, road surface, weather, etc. Variation in pressures from front to rear depending on all the above. Plus you'll see folks with tire blankets and water sprayers trying to get the right heat - grip combinations.

Chalking the tire shoulders and seeing the wear lines is one easy way to check for rollover and whether you need to adjust pressures up/down. Pyrometers are a step up for measuring heat variation at centers and edges.

All sorts of ways to go deep down the rabbit hole with this stuff. At this stage though more fun to just bump up the pressures, go fast and try not to kill too many cones.

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I shadowlined
  • straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped