WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build thread/running log of my E28? Guess I can do eet.

Brian.

I have no clue how severe the axleshaft angles are with how low you are. My guess is that with some weight in the rear, you hit a bump and the force on the axle took the path of least resistance and pulled the output flange out a bit. You should be able to just knock it back in with a wood block and a hammer. You wouldnt want your diff bearings getting all nastied up with salt, dirt, and raccoon guts.

I have no clue how severe the axleshaft angles are with how low you are. My guess is that with some weight in the rear, you hit a bump and the force on the axle took the path of least resistance and pulled the output flange out a bit. You should be able to just knock it back in with a wood block and a hammer. You wouldnt want your diff bearings getting all nastied up with salt, dirt, and raccoon guts.

Never even thought of that. I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Go figure, just started raining. The car started REALLY making this noise when it snowed last, Who the fuck nows. but thinking back now, if I were cruising at a set speed (cruise off) while holding the gas down to maintain speed, then let off, it'd make a noise in the rear that I Thought at the time was the rear dif mount starting to go. But thinking back now, it definitely was this. So that might work Snap. As with all the driving I do, I have to drive down some shitty roads (and here in Madison too). So I'll give that a shot when it lets up!

<3 you.

fwiw, it would probably be easiest to knock the output flange back in with the axle parallel to ground.

I think I might know exactly what happened to my car. an your theory actually makes sense.

The night it was snowing (the 7th of this month) The girl and I went to pick up her friend in the bmw (stupid fucking idea to begin with) but anyway, her friend is of bigger descent. and I remember having to come into the driveway at a decent speed (otherwise wouldn't make it up the stupid incline. And thinking back now, that could have entirely been it. So I'll give her a smack with the hammer and block soon!