WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Bad Gasoline: Don't rule it out

StriggityStrack

Hey everyone,

Two weeks ago I was driving my e34 home from work and was running dangerously low on fuel so I stopped and got gas at a BP in Belgium. I put somewhere near 20 gallons of gas in my car and took off. I was only able to make it to the freeway on ramp before the car sputtered out with symptoms opposite of a bad vacuum leak but to the same effect (foot to the floor would stall the car). I was able to get the car to idle for a while but it was clear that the car was not getting the correct AFR (running lean). It even threw a faulty primary O2 reading code. It was cold and snowing so I had it towed home thinking that my fuel pump was failing or my pressure regulator was simply stuck open. Expecting the worst I ordered new filters, regulator, and pump before I even began troubleshooting figuring I would just return what didn't work. I started by changing the filters and they were extremely bad so either way it was good that I did. Then I jumped the fuel pump relay to make sure that the pump was getting sufficient pressure and everything checked out. Finally I replaced the FPR but still no start. At this point I was pissed because I knew that the electrical and air side were operating correctly and I basically replaced the whole fuel system. The next day I felt pretty defeated at work and made a joke about bad fuel to my co-worker. I was expecting a laugh but instead he told me of a similar story of when he was 19 and had this happen to him. I called up BP and was "shadily" directed to the owner who admitted to selling potentially contaminated premium without having it checked by a state official who couldn't make it due to the weather that day. When I got home I siphoned all the gas out, bled my lines, and this is what I found within 2 minutes of settling. Keep in mind that I got mid grade which is unleaded and premium mixed at the pump so it is not as water potent as straight contaminated premium would be. It's been 3 weeks now and their insurance is dodging me and my car still won't start due to either fouled out plugs or clogged injectors. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow when I pull the plugs and fuel rail. 

IMG_1017.JPG

1 hour ago, Snap said:

Lawsuit time

Embrace it

Retire early

Murica

I was able to find the claim number so now I am cracking skulls. The adjuster is at a conference until next Monday so she will enjoy the countless voicemail's I left on her machine upon return. I totaled everything including the cost of towing and its well over $700. 

1 hour ago, suspenceful said:

Get all that shit out. Fill up with a few gallons of good gas. Add some injector cleaner. Start car.

I'd be pissed.

Easier said than done. I drained the tank and bled the lines but it still wont even hiccup when starting. Its probably all fouled out from me trying to start it. I live in an apartment complex so its not that easy to get rid of 20 gallons of gasoline and I didn't even have enough containers to put it in. I called the Grafton waste department and they charge 85 cents a pound for fuel. Gas weighs about 6 pounds per gallon so it would cost me $102 just to get rid of the gas... THAT IS TWICE AS MUCH AS I PAID FOR IT!!! My general manger at work ended up giving enough 1 and 2 gallon containers to drain it but that took a lot of time. 

If you are waiting on an adjuster then stop touching your car!  I deal with this stuff at work and the second a customer starts messing with things it all starts to go downhill.  Leave it as is and save all receipts.  If you need a rental find out if their insurance will cover it.  If you miss any time at work make sure you have it documented and get a letter from your employer with the dates missed.

47 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

If you are waiting on an adjuster then stop touching your car!  I deal with this stuff at work and the second a customer starts messing with things it all starts to go downhill.  Leave it as is and save all receipts.  If you need a rental find out if their insurance will cover it.  If you miss any time at work make sure you have it documented and get a letter from your employer with the dates missed.

I have not been able to get a hold of the lady so I have no clue what the hell is going on and the gas station owner keeps telling me to deal with the insurance. I can't wait a month without a car for the people at the insurance company to get their shit together. I kept all my receipts so far though and fortunately I am using a family vehicle. My biggest worry is that since it is an older vehicle with high mileage that they are going to say it is totaled so that they don't need to pay out as much.

38 minutes ago, JosephStrackbein said:

I have not been able to get a hold of the lady so I have no clue what the hell is going on and the gas station owner keeps telling me to deal with the insurance. I can't wait a month without a car for the people at the insurance company to get their shit together. I kept all my receipts so far though and fortunately I am using a family vehicle. My biggest worry is that since it is an older vehicle with high mileage that they are going to say it is totaled so that they don't need to pay out as much.

I understand the hardship but I would advise you to not do anything that may give the insurance company cause to deny your claim.  After that it's a slippery slope.  They're usually pretty good about this stuff.  Do you know the name of the insurance company?

I understand the hardship but I would advise you to not do anything that may give the insurance company cause to deny your claim.  After that it's a slippery slope.  They're usually pretty good about this stuff.  Do you know the name of the insurance company?

It's Acuity insurance. Kohler is right next door and I almost feel like walking into the place but I'm sure they wouldn't let me. And could they really deny my claim if it was proven to be bad fuel by the state tests and I have receipts? Or are you saying that they will try to say that I made it worse?

you've pumped out all the lines and replaced the fpr, did you do anything to the injectors? besides the fuel pump and fpr they are really the only thing left in the fuel system. buy a set of rebuilts, they are pretty cheap, maybe $60 for the set.

i don't see how anything air or electrical would have been affected at all, so don't start chasing there.

you've pumped out all the lines and replaced the fpr, did you do anything to the injectors? besides the fuel pump and fpr they are really the only thing left in the fuel system. buy a set of rebuilts, they are pretty cheap, maybe $60 for the set.

i don't see how anything air or electrical would have been affected at all, so don't start chasing there.

It took awhile to push the stuff through the system but I finally got her running. I was so worried the injectors were clogged last night.

https://vimeo.com/162209189