WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

What (non-BMW/non-GM) V8 Would You Swap Into A BMW?

B C

What non-BMW/non-GM V8 would you swap in?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What non-BMW/non-GM V8 would you swap in?

• Ford
    • Dodge
    • Hyundai
    • Mercedes Benz
    • Nissan/Infiniti
    • Toyota/Lexus
    • Volkswagen/Audi
    • Yamaha
    • Other ('splain yoself)

Question

The natural choice for a V8 swap in a BMW is either a BMW V8 or an LS.  BMW because BMW  and LS because you can find LS swaps in everything including kitchen appliances these days. 

I left out Ferrari, Lotus, and a few other exotics that just aren't realistic. 

If you were going to swap a V8 into a BMW, what would it be and why?

Keep it realistic, something you could actually think of affording and putting into a BMW (not a 92 liter mopar crate motor that costs $838123.49 on Jegs  for example).

maxresdefault.jpg

The hellcat motor does nothing for me. Ho ahead, take my 'murica card.

It's nothing special. I just love the fact that dodge has the guts to put a 707hp engine in a rental car and sell it to the general public for a fairly accessible price.

But.... This is special IMO, I just wish they could've fit equal length headers

3a865f25646fffb7d86b928fc86f7b0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir. Pretty trick stuff for the time. If you don't know about them, look into the V8 60 that Ford made. It was a smaller flathead V8 used mostly in midget racers and race boats.

Thanks, I'll look that up!  I heard the name once at a small cars and coffee gathering in Madison a few months back and one of the guys was saying that there is a Madison collector that has a few of them just lying around that he gathers as they come up for sale.  I don't remember if Chris was there or would remember that but he may be able to confirm.  Or I've had a long day and i'm just making shit up now.

Thanks, I'll look that up! I heard the name once at a small cars and coffee gathering in Madison a few months back and one of the guys was saying that there is a Madison collector that has a few of them just lying around that he gathers as they come up for sale. I don't remember if Chris was there or would remember that but he may be able to confirm. Or I've had a long day and i'm just making shit up now.

There is a guy in Madison that owns all the NOS Ardun heads in existence. Looking forward to seeing his collection sometime. *hint hint Pat wake yo' ass up for C&C*

Flathead with Ardun OHV conversion.

Or...

A rover V8 in a 2002 or e21 would be neat.

Whoa! I was going to say that! Not about wasting a set of Ardun heads on a BMW but the Buick/Olds 215 Aluminum (which became the Rover engine). Back in the 80's we BS'd about sticking those engines in just about everything because of the low weight. Obviously it was all talk. Always thought one would be killer in a 914.

There is a guy in Madison that owns all the NOS Ardun heads in existence. Looking forward to seeing his collection sometime...

His name is Rich Munz. I believe he has 4 or 5 sets of original heads, not sure if any are NOS, pretty sure they are all built up engines. There was a set of the extremely rare V8-60 Ardun heads found NOS in the box 5 or so years ago, they sold for ~$35000 IIRC and pretty sure Mr. Munz did not buy them. Either way, his collection is quite awesome...as is his collection of British motorcycles.

I can't believe there is a discussion here on this forum about Arduns. Pretty damn cool!

Later,

Wally

Never understood this. Why 2jz when a stock junkyard 300$ 150K mile m50 nearly BOLTS IN and can make 800ish hp on factory internals, and on stock ecu, etc. 

Not that I don't believe you but please show me this 800whp m50 on stock internals.  It's much easier and cheaper to get the 2jz to 1,000whp than to get an m50 to 800whp.  Not to mention the volume of 2jz's out there already making north of 1,000whp and the amount of engineering that has been put into these products.  It's easy bolt in power.

Look up franks e36 budget build part duex on bf.c

He's makinf 780whp 600wtq on junkyard m50nv with vanos convert on stock ecu/ e85.

But anyways. If you look over the pond there is more people making that kind of power.

But who would ever need more than 500whp in an e30? That's just insane even.

Look up franks e36 budget build part duex on bf.c

He's makinf 780whp 600wtq on junkyard m50nv with vanos convert on stock ecu/ e85.

This is wildly inaccurate. It is an m52 crank with H beam rodg in an m50 block. It was all fully rebuilt, not a junkyard motor anymore in my opinion. 

A stock bottom end in an m50tu or nv will never stand up to 750whp

This is wildly inaccurate. It is an m52 crank with H beam rodg in an m50 block. It was all fully rebuilt, not a junkyard motor anymore in my opinion. 

A stock bottom end in an m50tu or nv will never stand up to 750whp

Not true. Ill find you some more proof. he isn't using an m52 crank. That was part one, and it died. Hes on a junkyard m50nv block right now. 

But who would ever need more than 500whp in an e30? That's just insane even.

^This.

Anything over four or five hundred is beyond what any average mortal can handle in ANY car, unless you're just doing highway pulls and at that point it's just a bunch of dick-measuring anyway...

^This.

Anything over four or five hundred is beyond what any average mortal can handle in ANY car, unless you're just doing highway pulls and at that point it's just a bunch of dick-measuring anyway...

Why?  Because why not... Are you even American!?!?

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118110&page=2

and here is another one with stock internals, 761whp

If you are talking about the widebody then it says right in the description it has an M52 crank on page 1 and later on the owner of the dyno says "stock parts built engine".  It's not some random stock m50 they just threw a bunch of boost on and made power.  Not to mention, the dynapack dyno's always read a lot higher than Mustang or Dynojet numbers.  Throw it on a Dynojet and I bet it drops below 700whp.  Now, that's still impressive but does not support your previous claim.

Not to detract from this thread but there is no arguing that the 2jz is a better engine to make stupid amounts of horsepower.  That's it, done.  I could sit here and find oddball examples of other engines as well but those are exceptions.

My argument was simply, a 2jz swap it just absolutely retarded for 99.99999999999% of e30 owners as the m50 bolts in and makes WAY too much power on stock internals. 

I know all about the links I posted. 

Both of these examples are using STOCK m50 non vanos rods. 

And e36 hater is using a complete 150K mile junkyard longblock, with a cut ring and arps... stock head revving to 7800 I believe. But he added vanos. 

I believe he trapped over 135. I don't care what dyno its on. 135mph IS FAST. 

My argument was simply, a 2jz swap it just absolutely retarded for 99.99999999999% of e30 owners as the m50 bolts in and makes WAY too much power on stock internals. 

I know all about the links I posted. 

Both of these examples are using STOCK m50 non vanos rods. 

And e36 hater is using a complete 150K mile junkyard longblock, with a cut ring and arps... stock head revving to 7800 I believe. But he added vanos. 

I believe he trapped over 135. I don't care what dyno its on. 135mph IS FAST. 

Drag racing is dumb.  EDIT: You guys are getting off of topic.