WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Let's See Them Drawers!

YoungCR

Put your pants back on I meant tool drawers. Figured it's about time we start a tool thread around these parts.

I'll start out with what I got. I'll update with better pics and a better inventory but it's mainly craftsman and hand-me-downs right now.

Tool Box: Older model craftsman 3 piece I bought used, almost maxed out right now and I want a box with deeper drawers. Can be seen in the middle of my parts pile here.

post-2724-0-96002600-1427081663.jpg

Hand Tools: Most of mine are from the Craftsman 309 Pc set. I highly recommend this as a affordable starter set as it has had almost every tool/socket I needed to complely strip an E28.

http://craftsman.com/craftsman-309-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00941309000P

Only thing really missing from that set was pliers which I have Irwin vice-grips locking and channel pliers now.

Air Tools: I have one lonely old-school IR 1/2 drive and no compressor to power it...

While I've certainly accomplished a lot of wrench time with that craftsman 309 set my biggest issue is a good majority of the sockets are 12 point which I don't like using on everything. I've also managed to loose sockets from moving around so much which is another reason to begin upgrading. I've also had to replace the ratchets a couple times now over the last couple years.

I've been researching on gearwrench which has been preferred over craftsman by the guys on garagejournal.com for a while but they are now moving production to China too and reportedly the tool quality has gone down with the move.

Working at the dealers and being exposed/spoiled borrowing tech's high end tool truck brands has left me to desire better quality tools. With that said I'm gonna start building up a tool-box with tool-truck equivalents as described in this great thread below:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249851

Figured might as well be smart/informed on buying tools! Along with replacing ratchets/sockets I'd like to get an electric impact/driver.

Sorry for the lengthy first post but figured I'd explain where I'm at and see what other have in their boxes as well as good BMW specialty tools.

Set of metric GearWrenches, I freaking love them.

Telescoping and snakey Magnets to fetch fallen items

120v Electric impact, very useful.

3pc forged balljoint separator from harbor freight, everyone needs one

Uv leak detection kit,

Most sockets are husky or channel lock brand. They have served me well but im not brand loyal about hand tools

Inspection camera

and a Dell laptop for the squirts

I LOVE my ratcheting GearWrench sets, got a straight set, swivel set, stubby set... Hands down my favorite.

Craftsman sockets and a big assortment of everything else. 2 Craftman 1/2 stacks and a counter top drawer unit for small hand tools. Custom shelving units were made by my father and I, still have a lot of stuff Id like to do to organize and clean.

DE9EEDFF-65FD-4F06-86C7-63B3F0D34388.jpg

I will post more later but I recently got a JH Williams brand ratchet and the quality is great.  They have a 60 tooth that is unfortunately made in China but the 36 tooth is made in the USA, it still has finer teeth than my Craftsman one that always seemed to stick in between forward and reverse.

http://smile.amazon.com/Williams-M-52EHA-Enclosed-Head-Ratchet/dp/B001DNR9TS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1427251379&sr=8-6&keywords=jh+williams+ratchet+1%2F4

I picked this up a few weeks back. The camo is a wrap and I planned to take it off, but its ironically funny to me at this point.

I forgot the model number, but its a Snap On roller.

16924845031_f40d1e3d0a_z.jpg

Ohh, and I am 'test driving' this rig for a while since I let a buddy borrow my truck. Its a great machine.

16924882871_7ce9c6aecf_z.jpg

Good to hear on the gearwrench wrenches, bought a set of metric flex heads last weekend but haven't used them yet.

On the Williams tools apparently anything with a alphanumeric part number is made in the usa and the sockets are the same as snap on. The numeric part numbers are the tawainese imports which are also sold as bluepoint and are still a good value.

Good to hear on the gearwrench wrenches, bought a set of metric flex heads last weekend but haven't used them yet.

On the Williams tools apparently anything with a alphanumeric part number is made in the usa and the sockets are the same as snap on. The numeric part numbers are the tawainese imports which are also sold as bluepoint and are still a good value.

I believe the Williams line of tools is carried at Farm and Fleet.

I've had good luck with hand tools purchased from there.

I had a nice snap-on triple bay while I was in the shop but I ended up trading it to a guy for his Harbor Freight brand double bay with cash on top of his end.  I simply didn't need a massive box anymore and the harbor freight is working just fine for me.  Now of course you always need more storage so I am constantly looking to add cabinets, shelves, etc in my garage.  As far as tools... I lost count a long time ago lol.  I have a mix of Snap-on, craftsman, husky, etc.  I have air tools and a 33 gallon compressor that gets me by.  I recently picked up a wire welder to start learning on and for small projects.   

My hands down favorite tools I have though are my fine tooth 3/8" snap-on ratchets and my snap on wrenches 8mm-22mm.  I have yet to round a nut off with one of these wrenches!

still jumping from apartment to apartment so all of my tools live in small tool boxes, tool bags, and milk crates. its probably good, as it makes me really consider if I need something before I buy it.  craftsmen sockets sets, off brand screw drivers, pliers, etc. only thing i've ever spend $$ on was a set of snap on blue point 8-28mm combo wrenches.

favorite tool: bosch 18v drill+impact driver. never gives up and the impact driver is just to much fun, it makes me want to just go around putting lag bolts in random things. it also makes me hate nylon lock nuts much less.