WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The official WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO YOUR BMW thread.

Ryan...

So a guy at work just bought a '95 325i sedan, 245k, kinda rusty but mechanically sound and good price.  We did a little work on it today, the hood release cable was loose at the left latch so we pulled the bumper and aux fan out so we could pull on the cable and release the hood, it was actually pretty easy.  It has a squealing noise caused by not having a pulley on the serpentine idler, yes just the inner race was left.

IMAG0041_zpsbw5ipnb3.jpg

In place on my engine for reference.

IMAG0043_zpsluhindyo.jpg

The belt was also missing somewhat large chunks so we replaced that too.  Then we removed the top radiator hose to see why it had duct tape wrapped around it...  Had an inch long split in it, Who does that???

IMAG0042_zpseyrt2lbj.jpg

Then we changed the oil,  drain plug was broken and appears to have been used that way for a while with one thread holding it in, some people like to live on the edge.  I tapped a file handle into the hollow remains and it spun right out.

IMAG0044_zpsvlovrfr2.jpg

IMAG0045_zpsmfqske7b.jpg

Now all it needs is some cleaning and seat recline gears for both front seats.  Sorry no pics of the car, I believe the color is Montreal Blue, it has 16" wheels that look similar to the late e36 15" ones?  Not sure what they are from.

It was between Cuba city and hazel green. It wasn't a smoking deal after finding all of those problems, nothing really expensive though, it was enthusiast owned at one point in its life, has a strut brace and short throw (z3 maybe?). Also great tires and recent brakes, the po had it for 3 years and sounds like he just changed the oil and gav'er.

Sent from my potato phone

• 2 weeks later...

M3 ate a wall this fall... and got rear ended by a 350Z moments later... so the winter project is... an over the top rebuild.

Front

-Electric Fan

-Low temp thermostat

-New water pump (metal impeller)

-Power pulleys

-Brake ducts

-New hood

-New bumper cover

-Larger radiator

-New fender

Interior

-Full gut...

-New comp steering wheel

-Dash mounted battery cut off

-Cage

Suspension/wheels

-Adjustable rear control arms

-New rims / tires (at 265 right now...  looking to see if 285 will work well instead)

Rear

-New trunk

-A lot of body work!

Sure I forgot some items... and it'll grow as I build

I'll have quite a few stock parts I'll be listing here and there as I go. 

Haha, no I was reading a thread about key reprogramming on bimmerforums and someone mentioned it.

This weekend I'm getting a new brake light switch and a spare LCM from a guy parting out a couple of 540's.  Also replacing some burned out bulbs around the car.  Thinking about getting the dead pixels fixed in the cluster after the new year.

Also, I'll be cracking open the mystery glove box.  Will post pics of contents.