WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New Daily: 1992 E34 525i 5spd

Earl

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to hold off on suspension and wheels. I will do it once my struts go bad. Right now I would rather sink that $2000 into the compact to be happier with that=) 

I have been driving this with no issues and should have some euro parts on their way shortly. Other than that it is due for an oil change=)

• 1 month later...

I did the oil change a few weeks ago with Mobil1 15W50 and a Wix filter. Valve train noise has been cut way down and the car seems to run a lot smoother. I still need to change plugs, the air filter, and find any vacuum leaks but otherwise the car has been solid. It is about 600 miles past the 250,000 mile mark and is still going like a champ=P

My passenger front strut has definitely crapped out and makes noise when I hit large bumps. It doesn't really affect driving at all unless I hit a large bump. That usually caused the car to pull right quick but otherwise nothing major.

I also installed my euro analog clock yesterday. I was sick of my OBC not working and the clock was sent with my seats. It works great. I will put up some pictures later. I also went to install my euro front bumper trim but noticed it is textured and my car has smooth mouldings=/ Oh well. I will sell them and source a smooth set=)

(This is my opinion, based on my research and experience) 

The specs in the manual were for dino oil 20 years ago, modern synthetics are much better and it is not as critical to use such a high viscosity of oil.  As long as minimum oil pressure is ok.  I have been using 5w30 in my m50tu with no issues or excessive noise.  Oil pressure sits around 9psi with engine hot and rises about 10 psi per thousand rpms.  Minimum oil pressure at idle is 7psi.  A "lighter" oil improves gas mileage, and circulates faster on startup. 

Just my ramblings...

My car gets better gas mileage now than it did before the oil change=P I do agree that thicker oil would cause the engine to work harder by just a hair.

I went with 15w50 mainly because Snap told me to=D I usually listen to most things he tells me to do....

E34's get rusty. All of my doors have rust and one rocker has a hole underneath that I just noticed. Otherwise the car is pretty clean. The paint is pretty torched from Texas though. I am thinking if I get coils, the car will have a motorsport theme and I wont have to worry about making it super clean

• 1 year later...

I forgot to post in this thread that the car was totalled out:

20150927_183000_zpsft5xyngi.jpg

Everyone knows already though. I have had the car sitting in the driveway at my apartment since the accident. I had it sold twice but they both fell through. I've been contemplating doing different things with it but I don't really have a reason to keep it. If anyone is interested in it let me know. I'm thinking $700 isn't a terrible price to throw out. 

Front end feels odd. This has been since before the accident. I replaced the passenger strut finally but it still needs an alignment. I think the steering box may have play and be causing the floaty feel. 

Other than that it has a cut off muffler and the heat doesnt work. It has both a leaky heater core and a shot blower motor resistor. 

Damage wise it needs a fender, hood, header panel, grille, headlight assembly, and core support.