WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New Daily: 1992 E34 525i 5spd

Earl

I didn't make it out to the shop this weekend like I wanted to, but I did pick up my new daily....

It's not quite a Honda Insight

IMG_20140315_145736_zpsikxpcj5g.jpg

Bens (GunMetalGrey) 1992 525i, 5 speed, tan interior with black heated seats and black door cards swapped in, ellipsoids, and all rear (poly) and front suspension refreshed (minus strut assemblies).

Thank you again Ben for selling me this thing=)

It is such a comfortable highway cruiser and is actually sipping less fuel than I thought it would, which is a plus=D

I will be out at the shop this weekend at the latest, but might stop in a few times during the week to look at a few things.

I will post e34 updates in here too if that is okay. If someone wants me to make a separate thread for it and go into detail I can do that too=)

The car has been awesome so far. It just glides on the highway and the m50 sounds quite nice. 

I was getting a slight misfire at idle once the car was warm. I thought it would be hard to source a vacuum leak and was going to borrow Snaps smoke tester. I opened the hood and to my astonishment, the vacuum leak was easily spotted. The intake boot has three cracks roughly 1.5" long. I was surprised it runs as good as it does=) 

I ordered a new one this morning and cannot wait to get it installed. 

I will post more updates later in the day. Off to a meeting at work...

I replaced my intake boot yesterday.

CAM00606_zpsx8eh0lqj.jpg

There was pretty much a tear between every bellow. The throttle response didn't feel like it was lacking before but it is much more responsive now. I did notice that someone had split the end of the hose coming from the PCV valve and used electrical tape to fix it. I will most likely be replacing that next.

I was driving to work this morning with the blower motor on high to defrost my windshield and it suddenly kicked down a speed or two. I have heard horror stories of blower motor relays going bad and causing dash fires/full harness shorts in e34's and do not want to even turn the blower on now...

• 2 weeks later...

This thing has been awesome=) 

Tomorrow I am getting it detailed and I might shadowline the trim. 

I noticed a slight exhaust leak this morning that sounds like it is coming from around the downpipe. Are these cast exhaust manifolds known to crack? I remember on my Conquest those manifolds were prone to cracking, but that was a turbo application. 

I ran across these and am getting tempted. http://www.racelandus.com/exhaust-headers/bmw-exhaust-headers/bmw-e34-exhaust-headers.html

Someone talk me out of it=)

I am confused by your statement Mister Menard

"The exhaust header will bolt to your existing factory exhaust or other aftermarket exhaust system for an OEM-like fitment."

I do own BFH's so I don't foresee any fitment issues. 

Same as what our 11%-er said, I havent heard of the BMW cast manifolds being known to  crack.

I wouldn't run headers unless they were long-tube but that usually ends up being a PITA.

I guess I would run cheap shorty headers if it ended up being cheaper than a replacement cast manifold and you didnt mind possibly sacrificing some low end power. 

Looking at the pic on their site it appears that its more like a "slip on" to your cat section, it has its own downpipes which have a two bolt flange from header to DP rather than OEM 3 bolt.  Looks like you install then cut your cat section and clamp or weld the new downpipes on.  Not a bad setup, and I may go with this in the future, just not a direct bolt on.