WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New Member from Milwaukee

CMart

Relatively new to Wisconsin and planning a BMW build once I move to the burbs in June and get a garage. Looking for a clean manual E30, running or not, and preferably salvaged 540i and frankenstein them.

Anyway, I have a few months before I can buy the E30 shell or the 540 because living downtown means $100+ parking spaces so I am trying to be patient on those, but still keeping my eye out for a MIG/TIG welder, larger air compressor and related tools, bench grinder, toolbox, cherry picker, etc. It has been some time since I have owned a fun car so I am really looking forward to this build.

I only have my company car right now, but below are some of the toys I have owned over the years. I will keep everyone updated as I source the parts and maybe even find some on here. Looking forward to lurking and learning on here. Ohh and I saw a 6 cyl turbo E30 down by my house last summer. No hood with the exhaust coming straight up off the turbo. BAD ASS if you are on here.

MustangHonda_zps9470f325.jpg

First car two cars were a turbo honda and a 67 mustang. Sold them to go to college.

Picked up a bike and a truck after I graduated and since I have had my company car I have been saving and looking for something to spark my interest. 

R6_zps8b783b90.jpg

485CD2E0-B9E4-420D-8033-16A5FA1BF243-118

BC6E31B4-E552-480C-AFCC-7EE88D0923A7-118

I am in the Third Ward, but will probably end up in Bayview for the next move. The girlfriend decided to go back to school so on one income we are looking to downgrade the rent. Definitely not going FI I am just looking to get it running, paint it, then sell it. If everything goes as planned I will build another next summer going the S62 route not M60/62 as currently planned.

I saw you right outside of Benelux and creepily took a picture. I have a buddy that is really in to BMW's - his old man manages the BMW dealership in Schaumburg so I sent it over to him.

Welcome!  I have a five speed '88 sedan that  may be available...

I should have noted - I am only looking for a coupe.

Welcome. AA I see. Welcome fellow 11B!

Nice collection. And I cannot wait to see your V8 E30 build!

Not AA, I wish I would have went down that route. That is just my bike parked in a buddies garage for the winter. Next to his M3, which I am sure y'all appreciate.

Thank you for the welcome. I am looking forward to the move. I've heard nothing but great things about Bayview and REALLY looking forward to having my own garage. It has been years since I have worked on a project car and there seems to be a great community behind this platform in case I run into any problems...

• 1 month later...

I dont know what happened to my intro pictures, but I do have a little update. I missed out an a clean E30 a few weeks back because of some bad timing, but did pick this up.

2000 540i 6 speed with a m5 interior swap, coil overs, rims, racing seats, and some light engine modifications. Car was rear ended so I got it for a pretty good deal considering all the parts included. Engine runs great, compression checked out, and the tranny shifts smooth.

Now I just need to find a clean E30...

13340090413_64168d1ecd.jpg

13340172933_514b0f9536.jpg

13340174343_572b546bac.jpg

13340102403_69b0e53118.jpg

• 1 month later...

Picked up an absolutely rust free 1991 318is 5 speed from out of town this weekend. Paint needs some attention and it needs a driver side front fender. Interior is pretty good though all things considered. Cant wait to start cleaning it up. 

Here is a pic with the 540 behind it.

14199321956_c7c2026a56_z.jpg

Wow that is overwhelming.

The 318is wiring is there, but still need the 2000 540i/6.

Everyone says this swap is near impossible, but I am leaning towards attempting (instead of buying a M60) because it would make it that much better to succeed.

Thanks JC43089!