WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New Member from Milwaukee

CMart

I may be parting out the entire E39 so that I can get a pre 99 non vanos to make this whole swap easier.

Haven't decided yet, but if I do I will have a perfectly good M62tub44 and 6 speed for sale.

On that note if anyone comes across a pre 99 540i preferably e34 manual with decently low miles let me know - thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

14742830452_8755d7f86c_z.jpg

Pulled the motor/trans/wiring and sold to a HipMF on here. Thanks again for stopping by!

I have the M62 motor and 6 speed trans on hand.

Still need to:

Clean the engine bay

Get the driveshaft shortened

Decide if I am keeping the AC

Remount the brake booster (apparently one of the hardest parts of the swap

I sold the beige seats and bought some black ones which means I need to do the full black interior swap, but this is secondary since getting it running is priority #1

Figure out how I am merging the E30 body control unit with the E39 ECU/EWS/BCU

Wire the E39 EWS in line with the E30 ignition switch so it looks stock

Decide if I am keeping the stock steering rack or going to a Z3 which most people do

Probably changing up the rims

Probably keeping the 4.10 since I decided to stick with the 6 speed instead of the 5

I keep getting surprised by how clean this car is though. I am thinking about getting the whole thing painted after the swap and keeping it for a while.

My current problem is the E39 I am 100% parting out is still in my garage and I need to clear it out so I can swap the 1998 motor while it is in the garage. I have had a lot of interest, but nobody has pulled the trigger. I am keeping it in there until the drivetrain is sold.

I forget whether your e30 was an auto trans?  If it was then you could splice into the start circuit where the starting relay is above your knees when sitting in the drivers seat.  If it was a manual then it goes straight from the key to the starter, not sure of the exact routing though, might be black w/ a yellow stripe IIRC, decent sized wire too, 14-12g.  Not sure how good with electrical diagrams you are but I can help if needed, I am an industrial I&E tech.

It was a manual 4 cyl and I am keeping it manual.

I actually made a lot of progress yesterday. Pulled the brake booster off and am going to stop at speedy metals to buy a piece of square 5/8" tube to connect the brake pedal to its not mounting spot behind the front light.

A1 does not work on BMWs, but I found a thing online where you can cut and reweld a driveshaft so after I pull the motor, make sure the current driveshaft has the same footprint as the transmission end and measure I am going to cut and reweld it myself. 

I feel like the cleaning never ends as this has 23 years of grease and dirt, but I still can't believe how clean this thing is for being a midwest car.

jc - I will most likely need some wiring help. I was pretty impressed how easy the ECU and wiring came out of the M42 and am optimistic about getting the M62 wired in, but powering the right parts and getting the ECU to talk to the BCU is going to be a pain.