WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

Thanks! ;)

I've been hearing a slight whining/grinding noise from the rear the last couple times I drive it. Sounds like it's coming from the PS rear, doesn't get loud enough to hear until 15+ mph, is constant (doesn't change under braking or cornering) and is fairly high pitched (not metal-on-metal but does have a dragging metallic sound).

Pull the rear brakes off last: plenty of life on shoes and pads, shoes are functioning properly and are fully retracting when ebrake is released. No play up/down or left/right out of hubs - but hard to tell just by yanking on studs.

Only thing I could find out of the ordinary was some uneven wear on the rotor faces (just some light grooving - nothing I'm concerned about) and the following on the PS rear pads:

154551C5-1EB1-4702-9CE4-3DBF8D10B203.jpg

See the "lines" on the pad with wear sensor that run perpendicular to the rotor rotation? No idea what they're from - possibly a bad pad?

I was planning to do rotors/pads all around with good everything about mid summer, cash flow is alittle low right now. Maybe I'll have to do them sooner then later?!?

If you don't mind sharing, how much did the paint job run you? looks like it turned out pretty good. 

I think the price was very reasonable. IIRC he only had the valence, front bumper, passenger fender, passenger quarter, and passenger door painted. The rest is original=)

If you don't mind sharing, how much did the paint job run you? looks like it turned out pretty good.

They only painted the passenger side and front, drivers side and rear are all original paint. Paint shop was alittle under $2000, and I supplied all the replacement body panels needed (PS door, fender, front valance).

I also had them prep and respray the underside of the hood in preparation for bay work next winter. The entire door needed to be replaced and internals swapped over - which apparently was a pita. Both of those added a bit to the cost.

When it comes to paint work - I'll only have Inline Autobody in Oshkosh touch my stuff. The owner Kurt has been doing stuff for me for years and does great work.

Well.... Might have found the culprit for my slight grinding from rear. Not sure:

Rotated wheel ends from both sides - couldn't hear anything troublesome, only noise was a slight "whine" from diff. So put new pads in passenger side and reassembled - turned over to same results. Put rotor back on drivers side and turned over by hand. "GGRRIIINNDDD"

Ruh-oh

Checked to make sure ebrake was fully disengaged, rotated again and got the same sound. Removed rotor and found these on inside of rotor:

AA5EDD52-B165-40F7-AF57-871A7C033B7B.jpg

2 separate cracks, about 60 degrees apart. I swapped rotors side-to-side and got same grinding.... So not sure if it's the issue.

Shoes are seated firmly against backing plate, springs seem to be under good tension, and brake appears to be operating normally. There was some heat cracking on shoes - but not excessive wear.

Thoughts?

Don't have a lot of experience replacing shoes/springs, so will have to do some research in the AM.