24 members have voted

1. 1. NA or Turbo

• NA all the way
    • I love snails
    • I dont know :(
    • rage driving

Question

Would you run a turbo on your car if you had the time/money/skills/balls

Are you an NA snob like myself and prefer NA engines even though snails are the replacement for displacement? 

state your point of view on snails. 

I need someone (maybe you) to convince me that I should just go ahead and not look  back. I already have the Megasuirt and wideband setup, It would be a stupid simple deal to just slap it on there and run a couple oil lines and change the tune.  Honestly I just worry about heat, being able to do HPDEs reliably, and getting annoyed with lag. 

Snap we've already talked about this. Theres only like 4 more things you need, and you'd have a really solid turbo setup. Do a 2.7I build, with an HX35 turbo, and the "turbo lag" you're worried about is virtually not there. HX35 turbo's spool so ungodly fast, and at a decent RPM.

I need someone (maybe you) to convince me that I should just go ahead and not look  back. I already have the Megasuirt and wideband setup, It would be a stupid simple deal to just slap it on there and run a couple oil lines and change the tune.  Honestly I just worry about heat, being able to do HPDEs reliably, and getting annoyed with lag. 

If it'd be stupid simple for you to throw it together, do it!  Worst case scenario... take it all off and sell it if you don't like it.  I will say that it isn't as easy as it sounds, you'll get hooked up on something stupid along the line.

I'm not familiar with boosting BMWs, but I know for a Miata you don't have to worry about heat if you upgrade your radiator.  Lapping days will be a lot more fun with some power to play with, trust me.  Having to feather the throttle instead of flat footing it through every corning is a good time.  Cars break regardless, might as well make some memories.  Oh and turbo lag... think of it this way.  That "lag" you would feel is equivalent to you flooring it in your car right now, except the boost never kicks in.  Lag doesn't make your car any slower, it's just giving you everything your motor alone has.  And it's not even bad anyways, a second and it's over.  Or you could just get a T25 like I have in my Miata and never have to worry about lag :)

What do you have to lose?

If it'd be stupid simple for you to throw it together, do it!  Worst case scenario... take it all off and sell it if you don't like it.  I will say that it isn't as easy as it sounds, you'll get hooked up on something stupid along the line.

I'm not familiar with boosting BMWs, but I know for a Miata you don't have to worry about heat if you upgrade your radiator.  Lapping days will be a lot more fun with some power to play with, trust me.  Having to feather the throttle instead of flat footing it through every corning is a good time.  Cars break regardless, might as well make some memories.  Oh and turbo lag... think of it this way.  That "lag" you would feel is equivalent to you flooring it in your car right now, except the boost never kicks in.  Lag doesn't make your car any slower, it's just giving you everything your motor alone has.  And it's not even bad anyways, a second and it's over.  Or you could just get a T25 like I have in my Miata and never have to worry about lag :)

What do you have to lose?

Holset HX35 on a 2.7i and the turbo goes from vacuum to full boost in about 500RPM's, it hits, and it hits hard. Almost no lag. I've rode in one, and driven one. I would definitely do it Brian.

All you need to get your boost setup up and running:

ARP head studs

MLS gasket

Megasquirt - already have

50lb injectors

colder plugs

exhaust

intercooler piping/ intercooler

turbo

And that's pretty much it.

I run hpde's with my turbo m3 (s50) and have had zero issues to speak of as far as heat soak and lag. At the end of a 20summer min sessions my water temp may reach 200 at most. Our cars are track beasts no matter how you ook at it, thats why BMW's populate most of the track events at RA, but now why not have the hp to run with the zo6's, gtr's, gt3's. Even if you are a great wrench it is not a 1 weekend job. Let me know if I can help!! And I did posts mods in the new member intro if you would like to take a look.

Derek

Buy my shit, and then never have to look back and be sad! Sent from the future. Or my phone, who knows.

Who'd you get your turbo setup from? Or did you piece it together? Only reason I ask is because someone up in the valley bought my buddies entire 2.7i turbo setup, and that thing was epic.