WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

I don't think I've ever waited 9 hours during a snow storm 1 time I know I waited about 6.  I feel bad for these guys during these busy times.  They just get shit on and people are pretty ungrateful when the driver does show up.  I've always volunteered to help them if I have to call a tow truck, particularly if it involves crawling around in snow to attach the tow hook.

Well the car is finally to my home. They explained that they were having trouble finding a company that would tow it almost 100 miles. Understandable, I bought this hunk of junk for $400 from Chicagoland. 

IMG_1580.JPGIMG_1583.JPGIMG_1582.JPG

Last picture is the reason the car was so cheap. The person I bought it from was a pollock and didn't speak any English besides yes and no. Google translater said what I believe was. I change battery and no turn key.

I was a little uneasy as I had to pay the guy for the car and hope that AAA would come. 

8 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I don't think I've ever waited 9 hours during a snow storm 1 time I know I waited about 6.  I feel bad for these guys during these busy times.  They just get shit on and people are pretty ungrateful when the driver does show up.  I've always volunteered to help them if I have to call a tow truck, particularly if it involves crawling around in snow to attach the tow hook.

I agree 100% 

29 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Am I having deja vu?  Do you now own 2 S Class AMG's?  What's the plan?

When you say it like that it sounds good. 

With my limited time I'm going to check all the easy stuff and if I can get it to run possibly daily it. Not worry about it rusting or getting dented or mileage. It has 130,000 miles so nothing crazy to begin with. My other s55 now that I spent a bunch of time and money on it I don't drive it. 

If I can't get it running within a few weeks I will just strip it. Save the motor for a future build and make some cash.

Dug into it today, simple fix eliminated. It appears someone else has dug into this already. Some of the nuts and such were put on hand tight the fuse covers were all removed. The main fuses are good.  I couldn't get my star diagnostics to hook up when I looked at it. Going to try a few things but if it doesn't work, stripping her.

Did some more checking of stuff on the van.  Spindles are a straight line through the strut attachment, hub, and ball joint so no geometry changes by swapping left - right.  The ball joints are different and need to be kept on the correct side but it needs new ones anyway.  

oggmVav.jpg?2

Bolted on the other side.  I need to swap calipers too because of the bleeder location and also how the hose comes out.  But the stock hose will work fine.  I also need to swap the struts so that the sway bar link mount is on the front too.  The sway bar is curved to go around the steering rack.  I will just fabricate mounts for the BMW steering rack and Toyota sway bar in front.

liyaJxp.jpg?1

Steering rack, you can see how it's totally in the way here.  The rear driveshaft went between the subframe and steering rack so that is roughly where the centerline of the crankshaft needs to be.

L0yOFCn.jpg?1

And with the steering rack and sway bar removed.  I know I will have to notch the subframe  for the oil pan/bellhousing.  I might removed the whole rear part and make a bolt in part that attaches to the body mount bolts.  Not totally sure yet.  

CKlOPKC.jpg?1

Hoping that the shop I am working at has some lift availability next Saturday to try fitting the engine and building engine mounts.

Rear sump.  The front sump would not have given me enough clearance anyway and the rear sump is what I have already.  My wife said whatever is cheaper to get the van on the road.  1200 to rebuild the Toyota transmission and probably another 300 minimum on engine seals and "while it's out" type things gives me some room to work with.  And I can sell the 3MZ engine, it ran excellent, 172k miles.  It wouldn't be cheaper if I didn't already have a whole BMW drivetrain ready to go.  After work I need to shorten my m54b30 cam gear so I can get it closed up.  This engine is the one from my 94.  It's .020 overbore, light pistons, UUC flywheel w/ M5 clutch and the m54b30 intake cam.  Hopefully the stock tune works ok with the bigger cam?  Thoughts?  I never ran it with the cam yet.  Still won't be quite the stock 3MZ-FE power but good enough.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:15 PM, Daggerty said:

Dug into it today, simple fix eliminated. It appears someone else has dug into this already. Some of the nuts and such were put on hand tight the fuse covers were all removed. The main fuses are good.  I couldn't get my star diagnostics to hook up when I looked at it. Going to try a few things but if it doesn't work, stripping her.

Super big bummer.

5 minutes ago, Earl said:

Wait...so what is going in the 94? 

Nothing right now, it's from the Arctic Gray sedan I took apart 2 years ago and I thought this would be fun and might as well use the engine in the meantime.  It will probably go back in it someday.  I still need to get my shop done before I can finish it.  And we are making a push to pay off our house in the next couple years so I may or may not fit the concrete work in this summer which is the next step.  It depends on how much overtime I work.