WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M50 tear down kinda thing

StewCrew

woot woot! Looking good

Thanks!  Once its timed its pretty much ready to be dropped in.  Im getting excited!  Although Im sure theres a few small things Im going to need as things go back together.  I still need to run lines to my hydro, but keep putting that off lol.

cant wait to see the finished results. I have the same IE brace, it made a notable difference on my car!

Did you have to drop your struts a little to fit?   It looks like Im going to have to drop the coils out in order line the holes up.  But thats awesome!  Im excited to see how it feels!   Im actually pretty bummed they sent the wrong one, the brushed finished would have looked so good :/

Made my way over to TJ's the other night to pick up some timing tools, also drooled over his wagon and m3 a bit while I was at it...

Timingtools_zps80a574cf.jpg

Got the cam lock on, which Im almost certain the cams are set to tdc right now.  The valves on cylinder 1 and 6 are all the way closed so I guess it makes sense?

camlockon_zpsda3c5f30.jpg

Then more work on the actual car itself.  Dropped the control arms to get new inner and outer ball joints pressed in by a friend of mine.

frontstuffpulled_zps587c4320.jpg

Controlarmsdropped_zps3c3fdf50.jpg

I wasnt planning on doing this, but oh well.  Now Im probably going to end up dropping the front subframe and get a new sway bar, bushings, and endlinks and whatnot.  Since it all looks terrible.  Like, actually fucking disgusting.

On another note, these guys arrived the other day

dathead_zps66e3fe33.jpg

And how she sits now.  Im still disappointed I was sent the wrong finish strut bar..  I might take it to a shop I know to have it chemically stripped to a raw finish how I originally wanted.  Its just too much black for me.  Awaiting Snap's response to that.

Enginebay_zpsb39a8157.jpg

Glad to see you're taking the time to do things right the first time around.

Yep! I want this rebuild or whatever it's turned into now to last a solid season or two. Might as well take time when its shitty out to get it done! In still aiming within the month to finish it.

However, I'm leave for Texas tomorrow morning and won't be back until next Saturday. So that's a weeks worth of work I won't have. But whatever. Paid vacation in 80+ degree weather? Yes plz.

So I just got back from Texas the other day. Needless to say the weather here still blows lol. While I was gone, my dad brought my strut bar to a customer of his to have it chemically stripped down to a raw finish like it was suppose to be. I thought that was a cool surprise. Should be getting it back this week! Other news is that I got my inner ball joints too, hopefully getting everything pressed in and out this week. Still need to call Andy to have him swing by and time my motor. But it's good to be back, and I'm excited to get going on this car again!

It did not sir.. Haha

I found the part, nevermind :)   Its just a little beat up.

very nice progress.  one thing that bothers me is that bracket placement for the hydro rear brakes will be very unfortunate to your knee/leg if you were to wreck. it would be terribly ironic if your samurai themed hydro setup actually sliced your leg open...

I definitely see what you're saying.  Keep in mind the blade of the samurai sword is completely removed, but still.  I could always put some foam on the brackets too.  It wouldn't look as clean but it'd save my knees in the case of me hitting a wall.  I will probably do that before bringing it to the track again.

In other news, I contacted the bmw tech, and my motor should be timed sometime this week :)

I also finished up the lines for the new hydro tonight.  I cant wait to test this thing out!