WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M50 tear down kinda thing

StewCrew

How did you take it out in the first place? Just drill it out? I'm just about to take it out.

The old core support? I cut it right in half at first to pull my motor. The only thing holding the top sections in are the tack welds. Like I said in the post I'm not exactly sure where the tack welds are on the part that's around the bumper shock towers because mine was so rusted. But I know there's a couple thick welds on the outside of it. Feel free to text me in you want to send me pictures or have any questions! That way ill get it right away instead of checking here lol: 262-349-6277.

Edited by StewCrew

how many bolts hold your core support on? how many welds held the original in place?

a small front end collision could end up smashing your motor instead of the intended bumper/core support if its not held on tightly.

A total of 4 bolts right now along with my welds on the brackets for support. Ill be adding 2 more bolts up top and 2 more on the bottom. Originally, there were 10 very small tack welds on top at each side, and I believe 2 welds on the lower bumper shock housing area.

After seeing how flimsy the oem metal of the old core support was, along with how flimsy the metal of the inner fender wall was, Im not convinced the stock support would have held up very well at all. You can pretty much use your hands to bend the entire from clip of the car in.

A front end collision would have to be hard enough to push the bumper shocks in, push the housings back at least 3 inches, and then hit the core support. I think it would have to be a pretty hard to to push the shock housings back that far, but who knows. I honestly feel much safer with the new set up compared to the old one.

Hai guyz. I havent been working on the motor a lot lately because Im still waiting for my headgasket to come before it can go back together.. But I did work on the bay a bit last night. This is something I have wanted to do since my first e30 a couple years ago! Enjoy this next little project for making my bay look a lot cleaner :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These will just be tack welded in a couple of areas, then a little bit of bondo around the edges to make it look perfect with the bay. Once thats all said and done a couple coats of semi-gloss black will be going on. It should look really clean.

I'm seriously copying the sheet out of you. It's not on purpose, but you just beat me there.

Lol its all good. It was supposed to be a laid back night on cleaning the bay, until some sheet metal got dragged out. It still needs to grinding on the inside, but the core support fits with the plates in there, so thats cool.

I look forward to seeing your core support and engine bay plates too! Nothing nicer than a clean bmw bay :)

What thickness is that steel sheet? Looks to be about 12 ga. from here. And if so the both of those together should weigh approx 9-11 lbs. Does that sound about right?

That sounds right indeed.

Yay progress. Wish I could do shit like that to my E28... =\ In due time.

This was a spur of the moment idea lol.