WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M50 tear down kinda thing

StewCrew

Grip for drifting? Contradicting statement is contradicting. My spares are all 15x7 or 15x6 with whatever wheels up front. Sliding 10" wide wheels would be a bitch. Also the amount of understeer from such a wide wheel in back would be crazy. I'd stay away from wide rear wheels for drifting, but to each their own :) Unless you'll have boost. Then go for it lol

He's boosting. But ironically, drifting is all about grip. Grip is a huge factor.

More so about throttle control that grippy tires.

I'm thinking 15x8 would be perfect for drifting around 400whp? I mean, I could stretch the tire on there, and you get less grip anyway.

That sounds perfect! 400hp is more than enough to slide these go-karts around. And will be fun just cruising the streets too! Edited by StewCrew

More so about throttle control that grippy tires.

That sounds perfect! 400hp will be more than enough to slide these go-karts around.

Wheels/Tyres: Weds Kranze 3-piece alloys — 18×11-inch front, 18×12-inch rear, Goodyear RS Sport 245/45R18 semi-slick front tyres, Goodyear Eagle F1 265/35R18 rear tyres

He makes serious power. obviously you won't run 18x12's. But either way, you need to balance grip with your power. you can't go drifting on 13x5" rims, you'll just spin out, So go look for build threads of E30's with the amount of power you're looking to push, and see/ask what they run for tires.

Wheels/Tyres: Weds Kranze 3-piece alloys — 18×11-inch front, 18×12-inch rear, Goodyear RS Sport 245/45R18 semi-slick front tyres, Goodyear Eagle F1 265/35R18 rear tyres

He makes serious power. obviously you won't run 18x12's. But either way, you need to balance grip with your power. you can't go drifting on 13x5" rims, you'll just spin out, So go look for build threads of E30's with the amount of power you're looking to push, and see/ask what they run for tires.

Jesus, who's setup is that? And what kind of power? That sounds like a car that does real drift events. Yeah when you're going 90+ you're going to want to have a setup that grips. But I don't think that's what rowleym is going for. Not right away at least ;) I was more talking the drift days at the track I go to where the fastest you'll be hitting the turn is 60-65mph. Grip isn't as big of a factor compared to fully built drift cars on professional tracks. Formula D cars run 11-12" wide wheels all day. Besides, once you get on the track and try a couple different sets of wheels you'll find what you feel most comfortable with.