WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M50 tear down kinda thing

StewCrew

Frickin NICE!

I have the Turner calendar too. I bought the E30 calendar from Condor last year, definitely a good purchase/office decoration/conversation piece for all the damn Buick drivers.

How much did the M3 wire cover and new core support cost?

Yeah dude, free calendars rock. Im considering buying the e30 calendar for this year, it looks awesome.

The core support was $100 shipped off ebay and the wire covers were like $22 a piece off Penske.

Yay, shitty to hear about the bolt snapping off.!

Yeeaah, it is what it is. Ill have to drag myself to the dealership tomorrow or monday.

Update: The core support project is coming along nicely. I took a picture after every step for those considering trying it :) Ill upload the process and photos tomorrow, Im passing out for now!

Okay guys, so I finally got around to uploading all of the pictures for my core support project so here's my little write-up on how to do this. I had already cut the entire middle section out while pulling my motor so that made it a bit easier. Id suggest doing this to clear up a whole bunch of room.

First things first: grinding the paint away on the upper parts to see the factory tack welds and drilling through them. Drill bit size isnt real important, just make sure its big enough to drill out the entire weld. (Each little dimple is a tack weld)
1_zpsebc941dc.jpg

My car, being almost 30 years old, needed a bit of persuading to break free due to some rust
2_zpse1397705.jpg

Here are the factory tack weld locations, which are identical for both driver and passenger side.
Top view (5 tack welds)
3_zps5bf8a8a9.jpg
"Inside" view (Another 5)
4_zps02a7a306.jpg

So using the mallet and big flat head, I carefully pried between the edges and knocked it free.

For the lower parts Ill admit I cheated a little and used tools that might not be available to everyone. Since my stock core support was very rusty it was near impossible to see where the welds were, so I ended up using a hydraulic chisel to cut through any welds and break it free. You are also taking off the stock tow hooks. So heres after the lower pieces are taken off and most of the rust grinded down.
5_zpsae683577.jpg

6_zpsd10d914d.jpg

So now all of the stock core support has been removed
7_zps7eae5649.jpg

Next was to test fit the new core support, but I found these two little tabs right inside the bumper shock housings wouldnt let it slide into place
8_zpsc9456561.jpg

9_zpsd89fbc70.jpg

Easy fix!
10_zps67bea6c8.jpg

11_zpse33fda92.jpg

And the new support being fitted
12_zpscc0b3088.jpg

13_zps337001a6.jpg

14_zpsd316424e.jpg

15_zps9201bc03.jpg

16_zps29c5a68f.jpg
It was a tight fit and needed to be angled at a certain way to get in, but it fits. Keep in mind this is an ebay product, so fitment wont be absolutely perfect. I was able to get it very close with a little bit of pounding from a soft rubber mallet.

So this is step 1, which I consider "getting the car ready for the new support". Step two will be the next post.

Edited by CYoung

Next was to make small "L" brackets, since the metal of both the car and the core support are fairly flimsy, I wanted to make sure it would be safe.

Posted Image

Checking fitment

Posted Image

Welded together. You will need to make two of these, one for each side.

Posted Image

Then just a square welded to the tabs for the lower section.

Posted Image

I kinda forgot to take a couple pictures for the next few steps because I was excited to get done, but theyre pretty straight forward. I used a 3/8" drill bit, and ran to napa to get nuts and bolts the fit snug in the drilled holes. With the holes drilled, I tightened them down as if I were actually putting the core support on, and welded the nut to the fender support (I guess is what you would call it?). Be very very careful doing this! The metal is super thin and its easy to melt right through it!

Posted Image

The next part was the trickiest. Remove you bumper shock if you havent already (13mm bolts), and tighten down your nut and bolt. Hopefully you will have fairly clean metal, which I was lucky enough to have. But you need to very carefully blind weld the nut inside the bumper shock housing. I took a lot of time to make sure I didnt get any metal on the bolt, because if you do, youre screwed lol. Here you can see both bolts screwed into the nuts with the core support removed.

Posted Image

You do that for both sides, and thats it! You have just made your new core support removable whenever you want!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any questions/comments/concerns are welcome. This was a fun project and Im happy with the outcome :)

Good write up! How fast/easily removable is the front core support? I'm thinking of doing one for my E28, but I'd do mine differently.

With nothing in the car at all how it is now, maybe 2 minutes to get it off. Getting it back in is a little tricky because it has to be lined up perfect. I wish I went with a bigger drill bit for the holes but oh well, it works. I can take it off and put it back in within 5 minutes total. Im already excited for the amount of time its going to save putting the motor back in or when it comes out next lol.