WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M50 tear down kinda thing

StewCrew

• 2 weeks later...

So I havent posted anything for a while, and for good reason. Actually not really, I just havent been doing much. But heres the process for making my new hydro as cool as it is today! So heres some pictures on how I made a samurai sword hydro ebrake. Enjoy!

So talking with my buddy in Texas one night, who is a chef, we thought how cool it would be to use a big chef knife as a shifter or hydro brake. That then lead to a samurai sword. So I checked out ebay and bought a kick ass sword for $40. I also bought a very nice lookin CNC staging break to run as my new hydro ebrake. That was not off ebay, of course. I knew it was meant to be when they both were delivered on the same day. So here it is.

The guinea pigs of this project

Posted Image

Posted Image

The blade removed from the handle, and the handle taken apart

Posted Image

Checking how tall it would be, or something? Im not sure what this picture is for, but its on my phone so it must be important.

Posted Image

Sliced the CNC handle off

Posted Image

And after a lot of dremeling the sword handle and some carefully placed JB-Weld, the sword handle is secured to the brake. Not too shabby, eh?

Posted Image

Now the fun part. I pulled the center console, front carpets, grinded away a lot of gross stuff, smashed the heater core box in a bit, and sanded some bare metal for me to weld to.

Posted Image

I like the make things removable so this was no different. And to mount it I wanted to make a simple L-bracket.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was the longest part. Trimming the center console to fit around the new hydro. But after that was done, I put the carpet back in and cut a little slit to tuck behind and show off my sweet bracket. The fitment is perfect. Theres about 1/2" between the handle and dash, same with the wiper arm coming off of the steering column, and it doesnt hit when its pulled fully down.

Posted Image

Ill try and get some better pictures in another day or two.

Looks TOO close to the dash/wipers i would have brought it out a bit. But thats just me. Looks sexy as fuck though

Nah its cool, theres no possible way for it to hit either of them, and its at a good spot for me to reach while driving. It was hard to pick a final spot because if I brought it out a bit, it might hit the shifter when in 1st or reverse. I didnt want to risk that, especially since I dont have a shifter to test right now lol. But thank you! Ill be running lines to it soon!

Lol I dont see how that would happen, but I get what youre saying. Its not like you need to flail your arms around to grab a handle.

Thats also a professionally built race car. Any professional set up will be spot on built for the drivers needs. I have a $500 e30. It doesnt need to be spot on fitment, it just needs to work. Ken Block's brake set up alone probably costs triple that.

And thanks Rowleym :D

Edited by StewCrew

Very cool!

I enjoy watching Dominic49's videos (he is on R3V)

maybe you have seen them before

Just came to my mind after seeing your hydro brake

Cool video! That's one hell of a set up he's got there. But yeah that's generally where I see hydro's on professional cars so I figured I'd give that placement a try. I'll have to check out more of his videos!

Just saw on his youtube channel that he sold the e30 like a week ago :/

Edited by StewCrew

Bumpin dis thread.

A buddy of mine left his front mount in my shop, so I was just toying with this idea a little bit...  ;)

1-3_zps1c6bb8e1.jpg

Anyway, here you can see my green motor mounts that is practically tore in half vs a brand new condor speed shop "m50 into e30" mount.  Im really excited to run these mounts!

2-3_zpsc274f8af.jpg

Now lets jump to the m50 itself.  I half-ass painted the block just so it wasnt rust color, and also got the right studs in the head.

3-3_zpsc9235f9a.jpg

And the head is back on and torqued down.

4-2_zps39663e3f.jpg

Shes getting impatient with how long this reconstructive surgery is taking

5-1_zpsa2d4a154.jpg

I also got my IE strut bar.  Unfortunately they sent me the wrong finish...  I wanted the raw/stainless finish, not black.  But whatever.  Also an e36 short shifter.

6_zpsd1a5633a.jpg

Thats all for now until I can convince TJ to come by my shop with his timing tools :)   Im gonna give it a shot timing it myself.