WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M50 tear down kinda thing

StewCrew

No hurry? You're crazy! I'm excited. That means race car can come to Madison! :D

I made a couple of subtle hints, like "Im literally free at any time during any day" and "I work for my dad.  I can always make time" lol.

you better call me when you drop the motor in buddy. 

Absolutely dude.  You and Joe are always there when big things happen to my car.

Hell yeah! Gonna be sweet cruising down 94 with racecars  :cool: Post up pics Jake, need some more eye candy

I took some iphone pics, but dont like them too much.  Ill bring my camera to work tomorrow and get some real pics!

Post pictures, I'm going to do this eventually to the E28, but once I have cash to waste away on the cute fancy fartsy stuff. for now, it's all about getting the car going again, and some fancy ass rims.

Damnit Brian. They're wheels!!!!!! Plus Testors candy red and clearcoat are about....$9 at your local hobby store. lol Screw the VHT crap

I paid $14 for all 4 cans. What do tires have to do with anything? Lol. Rims is incorrect. You don't put rims on a car, you put wheels on a car. Unless you're black and they're going on your Monte Carlo on hydraulics. Dem u got sum rimz y0.

I'm all ears. 

I guess this is a long over-due update, but better late than never.

TMS under-drive pulley set, skid plate for an m50 in an e30, and a new coolant overflow

TMSpulleysandskidplate_zps16db68af.jpg

All red tails

Redtails_zpsafcd6481.jpg

Dropped front subframe

Subframeout_zps89a89a64.jpg

Took apart said subframe

Subframetornapart_zps2c10be5b.jpg

Welded support plates on said subframe

Subframesupports_zpsd9a8ec37.jpg

Cleaned and painted it, and put said subframe back in car.  You can tell its been a while since anything happened in the bay hahaha.

Backtogether_zps72be60dd.jpg

Im aiming for friday to get the m50 timed.  If that happens, Ill have all weekend to put things back together!  Order up new sway bar bushings and endlinks so hopefully those come before the weekend so my fubframe can be completely wrapped up.  Im pretty sure I have all of the parts I need to get the whole car back together, but we will see.

What's the story on the skid plate ? Is that a custom piece?

Theres a guy on r3v who is selling them.  $160 shipped :D   Cant go wrong with a price like that.  He basically borrowed a couple of local people, took measurements, and started making them.  He has them for m20's, m42's and 24v swaps.  Heres a link:  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=269486

I should also mention it comes with new steering rack bolts too.  Mounting it up is very easy.  Its sturdy as hell too!  Ill actually feel comfortable driving my car around now.

Wow .. that is really nice. i have a choice of factory, Race Skids, or street sign ..... Factory and street sign are in a tie for coolness

Well, I nailed my oil pan really hard the first time driving my car home with the swap, so I wanted to make sure it'd be safe.  E30 guys rally with this plate so I trust it can handle waukesha roads.

Id say race skid, only because Ive been paranoid of ruining my pan since day one hahah.