WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I bought a super cheap boost gauge. I haven't done anything with it yet. 

I got the alternator functioning, which is nice. 
Having to build an engine harness as I go is an odd thing. Just keep piecing stuff together. Tonight I will be getting the temp gauge working.

The new blower motor is great! It doesn't sound like death! Though it still only works on high, but the resistor pack (springs) looked fine. May just buy a new anyway because that's likely the problem in some way. 

Next on the list is an intercooler, apparently that's the #1 to prevent head damage, not sure how that works but it's a recommendation by everyone. I planned on doing it anyway so no time like the present! 

I do also need to figure out where to mount 3 or 4 gauges in the car... but I would like to keep the radio. To the internet I go!

I bought a super cheap boost gauge. I haven't done anything with it yet. 

I got the alternator functioning, which is nice. 

Having to build an engine harness as I go is an odd thing. Just keep piecing stuff together. Tonight I will be getting the temp gauge working.

The new blower motor is great! It doesn't sound like death! Though it still only works on high, but the resistor pack (springs) looked fine. May just buy a new anyway because that's likely the problem in some way. 

Next on the list is an intercooler, apparently that's the #1 to prevent head damage, not sure how that works but it's a recommendation by everyone. I planned on doing it anyway so no time like the present! 

I do also need to figure out where to mount 3 or 4 gauges in the car... but I would like to keep the radio. To the internet I go!

I have an intercooler for you for cheap. Straight thru style. Which may be odd for routing

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I have one of these (bought it because I'm lazy, making one would be easy), it's not the perfect location as far as being able to see them all the time, but its a nice place to put them and keep heater vents/euro clocks for instagram/radio/etc. They're more visible than the ash tray replacement ones too. 

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=220803

6 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

I have one of these (bought it because I'm lazy, making one would be easy), it's not the perfect location as far as being able to see them all the time, but its a nice place to put them and keep heater vents/euro clocks for instagram/radio/etc. They're more visible than the ash tray replacement ones too. 

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=220803

This is right in the alley of what I was thinking. Plenty of room to add switches and buttons as needed (glow plug button, switches for lights) 
I may try to make something first, save a bit of money and keep with the build style. 

I plan on running some sort of warning system for oil pressure (other than the stock light) so the visibility isn't too critical at this point, so I think we may have a winner! 

Top mount, you lag-loving monster!!!

It makes too much sense. The portholes are RIGHT THERE!

This is like a cute farmer girl smiling at you during class and then introducing herself to you after class and then you go and sign up on www.farmersonly.com afterwards because there are no cute farmer girls at school.

17 hours ago, HipMF said:

It's hard to bash the intercooler into a log or a rock when it's on top. Plus it gives you an excuse to cut a hole in the hood and put a ridiculous scoop on it.

This is exactly why I don't want to do it though. 
I browsed things that would work as a top mount and they are either super expensive or used for a specific application (and still spendy) that has weird inlet and outlet flanges. The most cost effective route is front mount. 

I had to buy a new battery for this last night, as the one in it wasn't doing the job. 
For some reason when there wasn't enough power to start it, the starter wouldn't disengage (still trying to turn it over) even when it was barely turning at all. Turning the key off doesn't do anything, disconnecting the starter solenoid wire doesn't do anything, the only fix is disconnecting the battery. Not a fun game. 

All is as normal with a good battery. 850 CCA of glory.

Hooked up a boost gauge last night and wasn't surprised to see that I frequently am not getting wastegate pressure, the wheels on the turbo must have been a bit more worn than I thought. I was seeing about 10psi (wastegate is 13.5) so I will need to throw a snail at it sometime. 

Got the cluster temp gauge functioning, temp was moving around a bit, but the lower hose wasn't getting hot. I have avoided using the bleed screw on the thermostat housing because it looks like it's in crooked and finding a new housing is impossible it seems. May have to bite the bullet and tackle that this weekend. 

Should have a late model expansion tank on the way soon thanks to @KaiserRolls so I will be able to think about putting a hood on soon. Still not sure what I want to do about exhaust. Stacks are cool and all, but I want to put things on the roof of the car and not have them end up black. 
I thought about exiting right in front of the rear wheel again, but I realize now that I got stuck on the exhaust pipe climbing over things. I may go center exit rear, which would double as a fuel heater (barely). 

Aaaannd one that I forgot to upload. Forgive my childish laughter, it was the first time driving it.

Oh. Side note. I do know how to shift, but the damn clutch pedal is all weird. I have an E46 flywheel and clutch in it right now, and something must not be appropriate (self adjusting issues?)  because the clutch pedal has two "spots" in it and doesn't release quickly. 
If I get ambitious this weekend I may switch the flywheel and clutch back over to the E stuff. 

Got the block heater wired up! Now my block can be warm all winter long!

IMG_20171217_151132

I also made up a gauge plate, and went a touch nostalgic on it, it is made out of the license plate that the swapped e30 had on it for it's whole life. Thought it was kind of cool. Holds the glow plug switch as well as a couple gauges. Should do the trick. The super cheap boost gauge is hella bright so that may have to be changed. 

IMG_20171215_215534

IMG_20171215_212641

I also modified the throttle brackets and put an e34 cable in the car so the throttle is no longer sketchy, but that doesn't really deserve a picture. 

Next steps involve modifying things from their current place to a place that allows me to get the hood on the car. This is primarily coolant stuff and exhaust.