WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

• 2 weeks later...

Most annoying e30 job I have done to date. But it is done. 
Upper U joint replaced and guibo changed out for a delrin counterpart. 

IMG_20170411_143720_906

Cleaned up the block, and found that it is also a can holder!

IMG_20170411_135654_746

Dropped the head of to get decked and tanked, may not have needed it but peace of mind is well worth it! 

I also tried on some seats, and am trying to figure out if they were too low or if they were okay. Picture for reference. Yes, it's grainy, the shop was quite dim.

IMG_20170417_110102_540

IMG_20170417_110003_881

I think they were a bit too low, as I had to use the door sill to get out and the wiper arm was a bit in the way lol.

Hoping to get the head back on this weekend! 

12 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Agree, steering joints suck. Is that from Condor?

It is! I am curious to see how the steering will feel with the slop out of the upper U joint and the lack of rubber in the middle!

@Earl I don't commit to anything that way when I don't show up it's no surprise! 
I would like to take one of my E30's, but we all know how that goes. 

I could have sworn I followed through for checkout on ECS this Monday for a bunch of gaskets, but apparently I didn't.  So that's lame.

I remembered yesterday that I need to do silly head torquing processes for this head gasket setup, and don't look forward to bolting the turbo down after putting the motor in and I'm debating waiting on putting the motor in. We shall see how much ambition I have! 
I wish I would have dropped the head off at the machine shop earlier so I could be doing the silly torque process this week instead of starting it Saturday! 

36 minutes ago, Earl said:

Is it as silly as torquing it in a sequence and then having to wait a determined amount of time to do the next step? 

Yep. It makes sense though, and I don't feel like risking another gasket combo to something that would be so stupid not to do. 

At least this time I don't have to take the cams back out after the first heat cycle to torque the head bolts, the socket fits through m52 cam trays. 

39 minutes ago, Earl said:

That's a plus lol. I believe you've done enough head gaskets for a lifetime. You and Snap could race to see if it is faster to do an M5X or an M20 headgasket haha

M20 for sure. You don't have to mess with vanos removal stuff. 
Though the intake manifold removal is much easier. 

@Snap A gentleman's duel ? Loser is forced to put the winners engine in their car. Some big stakes there. 

Grabbed the head on Friday and the guy that worked on it laughed at me for bringing it in because it was so flat already. Worth the money to know it's perfect and I didn't have to clean the old gasket off! 

IMG_20170422_092754_946IMG_20170422_102440_754IMG_20170423_123433_776IMG_20170423_132938_497

Got it timed, which I always find it satisfying when you do the timing and rotate it a couple times and check it again and it's still spot on. 
Torquing the head still, and set some other things on it. Got the 85# injectors back in the rail and the manifold, and am waiting on some gaskets before I can bolt the turbo manifold back on. 

Slowly but surely going back together.