WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

On 2/24/2017 at 10:39 AM, Jdesign said:

Statement and the truth. 

I have driven some sketchy ass cars, and this one is certainly a runner up for one of the "best"?  I feel like I might die at any second behind the wheel, and having all the exposed metal in the car is a nice reminder of that.

That sort of car can be one of the most fun to drive.  Every trip is an adventure.  No time for boring cars.

• 1 month later...

Accomplished some cosmetic things on this last night. I stopped out at Schmidts salvage to try and buy a spare hood for my E30 and ended up buying this rear bumper trim after coming up hoodless :( It wasnt a perfect fit but it looks more than acceptable for the car and it cost me a hefty $20 bill. I added some splitter support rods I had sitting around, but they will get mounted to an actual splitter once I get material, I figured this way I wouldn't loose them. 

Volvo_S40_rear.jpg

IMG_1910.JPGIMG_1911.JPGIMG_1922.JPGIMG_1923.JPG

I also made a stop at Menards and found these nice little louvered vents for $1.69 each. They are almost too perfect as they have a nice screen mounted to the back of them as well. I will have to go back and buy more as I decided to add some to the trunk as well. A little black paint and some self tappers and I have my louvered deck lid and hood vents.

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1913.JPGIMG_1916.JPG

After all of that, I saw a listing for some cheap OEM M3 mirrors for sale about 5 mins from my shop, so I went and picked those up as well. Anxiously I mounted them before painting them. They do need new glass, so once I order some, I will properly paint them to match. 

IMG_1917.JPG

I still am on the lookout for a Cargo/ work van roof rack like the one below on the cheap too. So if you have one, or see one, let me know!

topper-rack-for-a-sprinter-van.png

5 hours ago, Snap said:

obvious question: what happens when it rains 

(don't taze me bro)

That front lip is great!  nice imagination on that one

This is speculation, the vents don't really serve a purpose and are for looks, no ricer. No holes will be cut??

aluminum or steel for the cargo rack.

19 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

I just sold a roof rack like that a week ago...pulled it off a cargo van at work.

Damn IT!!! If you happen across another Send it my way. Obviously I dont care the condition of it :)

19 hours ago, Snap said:

obvious question: what happens when it rains 

(don't taze me bro)

That front lip is great!  nice imagination on that one

I wish that lip was my idea, but I saw a guy in Europe use it and I just searched for one in the salvage yard here. 

13 hours ago, Daggerty said:

This is speculation, the vents don't really serve a purpose and are for looks, no ricer. No holes will be cut??

aluminum or steel for the cargo rack.

When it rains it pours.

I plan on cutting holes under the vents. Both in the trunk and the hood. The idea is to mount everything first, trace, cut, reattach. I don't care if the car becomes a swimming pool as long as it is looks cool doing it.

Roof rack material doesn't really matter, but aluminum would be preferred because of the weight. But beggars and cheap asses cant be choosers.

I made this really quick awhile ago and just never posted it. I have a few sets of wheels that I have as spares for the car and I figure what better place to store them and save floor space than on a roof rack. Besides that, I also need a place to put the random "space travel items" including Solar panels to keep the battery charged like @Snap suggested. ;)   E36_brainstorming_roofrack.jpg

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

I made this really quick awhile ago and just never posted it. I have a few sets of wheels that I have as spares for the car and I figure what better place to store them and save floor space than on a roof rack. Besides that, I also need a place to put the random "space travel items" including Solar panels to keep the battery charged like @Snap suggested. ;)   E36_brainstorming_roofrack.jpg

how are you going to get your trunk open?

Awesome. Yeah they are normally $100-150 for the older ones. 

On a side note, I also just got a dipstick FINALLY! in the mail for the V8. I have just been winging it this whole time LOL. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be to find one as they all use different dipsticks depending on the application.

Who doesnt like a BIG RACK?!  $40 and a sketchy 20 min ride I now have a roof rack. Its about 5'x12' so I will need to cut it down some and re weld it as I only need 4'x9' but I think its going to work out perfectly. 

(Also, I cut the hood and mounted the cheap hood louvers, they are not as large as I would have liked, but they do the trick for now)

IMG_1969.JPGIMG_1971.JPGIMG_1972.JPGIMG_1973.JPG

Try to ignore the messy shop, we are in the midst of rearranging. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

I cut the rack down But it might still be too large. I was too lazy to cut it back apart and galvanized steel sucks to weld. So I started focusing on the more difficult part: making brackets to mount it to the car, Safely? I made the rears but the roof portions will be a lttle more difficult because I dont want it to leak on my head when it rains. Part of me is thinking who cares, run bolts with gaskets and be dont with it. Another part of me is thinking weld plates to the roof with hardware weled to that, and have the rack bolt to that so i wont have holes in the roof, but will have brackets attached to the roof if i ever remove the rack.

What do you guys think, too wide? And idea on how to mount it to the roof?

IMG_2354.JPGIMG_2358.JPGIMG_2361.JPG

I also blew the PS line that I made while doing donuts. Turns out if I add  4 hose clamps instead of 3, it holds pressure. I donut tested this 4 clamp design. Typing about this makes me realize I need to share a video of this yet. 

I also got a rear window visor from @Earl. I planned on using it as a template for the rear window louvers but installed it for the time being. I promise I will get to making the window louvers sooner or later as well. 

On 4/27/2017 at 2:56 PM, Bassboy3313 said:

imo, I would narrow it down to the same width as the roof. Looks great tho.

Yeah, Thats what I am thinking too, and it seems like the mass majority agrees. Ughh more welding :| 

21 hours ago, Earl said:

Can I ride on that rack whilst you do donuts?

Hell yeah you can. We will have to strap a couch up there first though so you have a place to sit. With a newspaper and cup of tea in hand, you will be the perfect candidate. :D  

• 2 weeks later...

So... I broke something. I have yet to take it apart and inspect what it might have been, but y guess is that its a lifter or a bent pushrod. Luckily I have an extra set of GT40P heads, so if the carnage is really awesome, I have parts to fix it. Till my E30 is on the road, this car isnt going to move for awhile.

*note to self, let the car warm up longer before beating the piss tits out of it. :/

IMG_2428.mov