WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

dat grocery getter doe'

i_love_cars

Bassboy and I are gonna tear shit up at snow drift this winter assuming no punk kids bring their janky bmws and spray coolant and oil everywhere again  :rolleyes:

IMG_0530_zpsoijep6y1.jpg

Yes I had to fly to Maryland for this car and yes it was worth it. Ordered a short throw and a more customized shift knob yesterday. Up-pipe & downpipe & open source tune to come. Leaving it alone after that because #135iBRAAAAAAAAAP

lololol so much quality has come to this thread.

Yes I will need to flash my ECU at some point. I'm gonna look for a used downpipe and up-pipe and then just need to find a reputable open-source Stage 2 tune. 

I ordered a Kartboy STS and a WC Lathe Werks shift knob - this photo depicts it, except I'm not getting mine with stupid red stitching - mine will be black stitch, and I'm getting a satin finish to match the interior trim of the car, as opposed to the standard brushed aluminum in the pic below. 

ALWTP-BlackLeather-1.jpg

EDIT: OMG I didn't realize Subaru Badge of Ownership was actually a thing. What the fuck. What kind hipster, tree-hugging euro-trash bullshit is this?! 

I forgot to give the backstory on this car, which was nothing special until after the seller and I agreed on the price. 

So normal stuff - it's 114k miles, 1-owner, so much dealer maintenance records that I have a 2 page printout of archive service records that are just line items with a date of service, and a stack from the past 5 years of....everything lol. Can't speak enough to how clean the car is for the age and mileage. If you didn't know better, you'd think it had 60k on it. 

So the guy had the clutch, timing belt, water pump done last year in July. And an AC recharge I guess. So that was 1500 bucks at the dealer. Brakes done 2 years ago, nothing major. Pretty much just usual stuff you'd expect to have done at 100k miles.

Well about 5 days after we had made the deal, he texts me and says he got a CEL for the first time ever and was going to take it to the dealer. So the dealer came back and said none of the usual suspects like coil pack, plugs, etc. were to blame for the Cylinder 4 misfire code. So he paid to have a leakdown test done. 0 compression in cylinder 4 rofl. Literally one of the intake valves had gotten stuck as it expanded over time (cylinder 4 on the turbo models is a common thing to have valve expansion on requiring adjustment). So as a result, the entire cylinder head chamber just got toasted. Dealer quoted him 3500 bucks to get a brand new cylinder head, replace the bad valves, adjust the remaining valves in other cylinders, new head gasket, etc. 

He just texts me and says "either you're the luckiest guy in the world or i'm the unluckiest, or maybe both" lol. I said well if you have the work done I'll still buy the car, so long as the dealer guarantees their work at any Subaru dealer nationwide because I'm driving it 800 miles to get back home and don't want to deal with any premium fuckery. So with the work guarantee confirmed by the dealer, we went ahead with the deal. 

The car drives like new. It's beautifully smooth to operate given the complete refresh of the top half of the motor and the new clutch. For 9300 bucks I'm pretty happy. 

"I won't modify this one, I won't modify this one, I won't modi... Ohhhh! Look at all of the aftermarket!"

You should definitely get the LGBT badge and add that as a custom plate.

I seriously told myself this before picking up my saabaru aaaaaaaand it didn't work. Already have a catback, strut braces and springs waiting to go on. However, I will not be doing any engine mods (except the air pump delete which I still need to do).

WC Lathe Werks shift knob and Kartboy short throw installed. Very happy with the results of the new bushings in there. Shifting is significantly crisper than before. Still not as good as my 135i with BMW performance shift kit, though. 

The shift knob is top-notch quality. It cost me 155 bucks which is probably the most expensive shift knob I have ever bought, but it feels fantastic and is weighted perfectly, and the satin finish matches the car interior perfectly as you can see in the picture. The only issue I had was that the etched gear pattern did not line up straight on the Kartboy shifter when fully tightened. It went about 20 degrees too far. I had to rig it with a crush washer to get the etching to line up straight and still be tight.

IMG_0551_zps2f2hacd9.jpg