WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1991 318is M62B44 Build

CMart

A ton more progress last night. Did a test fit of the headlights and hood and luckily my dimensions spot on.

All the routing (gas, coolant, PS, oil, clutch) is officially done, which was a huge headache. Waiting to make a mount for the PS reservoir after I do some more thinking on it. Overall much much cleaner than it last was and I am very happy with the outcome.

Really don't have much left before she is road worthy again and I start working the bugs out. Now if only this weather would cooperate...

Just went to install the BBK onto the coilovers and found the guy who sold me the BBK lied and they didn't get the corrado rotor center opened up to fit on the e30 hub.. Not too happy about it, but before I throw a few back, and turn my E30 into a redneck lathe, does anyone have or know of someone with a lathe? Will literally take 10 minutes...

Whoa bad coincidence.

I realized I hadn't started a LSM3 thread so I just noted that was a good score.

Totally unrelated I have coilovers and BBK (RX7) for the 318/M62. Everyone runs corrado rotors with that kit, but the hub of the disc needs bored out. I went to install it and the disc isn't sitting flush with the face of the hub so I need someone to lathe them out so I can get them ready to install.

Got quite a bit done today.

Started getting the interior back in which is cool to see.

I setup the OBDII port and its working with my phone, which is really cool to see. Only M62 swap I know of that has kept the OBDII functionality.

I've got a few more wires to chase down. RPMs aren't working and neither is my coolant temp gauge. The RPM is confusing me so I have some work to do around that, but I am thinking ground.

Things are getting close though.

Car is back to running. Everything is tight, all gauges working except coolant which I am tracking through OBDII, and the RPM is working, but not accurate because the garagistic module isn't working. All of the interior expect the passenger seat and glove box since I am still working on some wiring.

I do have a wicked belt squeal that goes away if I spray some chain lube on it. Not quite sure why its there, brand new belt and it didn't do it last time I drove it. I am assuming its belt related not pulley since it goes away with spray. Any ideas?

Will do thanks. Not happy about having to take the radiator back out though... Finally got it all bled.

And yeah I've been very unimpressed with them. They did respond saying it was a known issue so I'm hoping they get me a replacement even though I bought it months ago. 

Car is all put back together and running like a champ. Coolant is running between 230-235, but apparently that is correct for this motor, they are designed to run hot.

It does have a slow oil leak either at the valve cover gasket or front cover, but I think I am going to leave it as is and let the next owner get acquainted with the car by fixing it. 

Getting some quotes from exhaust shops this week, glamour shots, then she'll be listed.

Now that the car is running and the exhaust is done I've been focusing on the smaller things.

One of them being the seats. I bought the seats off of here for what I thought was a good price. I later found out why as they had a nice gangsta lean on one side. Did some digging and found this:

26310649040_d46b7ef396_z.jpg

26491227862_09e1ca378c_z.jpg

A little wire and boom.

26518050331_676c007dbf_z.jpg

Not pretty as I had to basically do a bunch of spot welds so I didn't hurt the seat, but its doing its job. I was expecting to find the tab broken not the whole frame.