WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I had issues with the supplied hardware for an aftermarket or reman axle once, the axle also lasted 150 miles lol.

I have not had good luck with aftermarket axles, so I hope these work fine for you. 

Ahh, yeah I have had issues with axles before on other cars. These look to be great quality, I am not too worried. I will let you know if a few thousand miles how they hold up. 

I never shared photos of pressing the new bearings in.. So let me step back a sec...

Heres the tool of choice...

IMG_4075_1.jpg

using some random old bearing races and chunks of aluminum, I was able to press out the hubs, then the bearings. 

IMG_4081_1.jpg

IMG_4074_1.jpg

IMG_4076_1.jpg

IMG_4078_1.jpg

IMG_4072_1.jpg

IMG_4080_1.jpg

One thing I learned from this whole ordeal was that it sucks if you accidentally bend the shields. They hold the e-brake shoes a specific distance from the swing arms. Once they are tweaked, it takes a lot of manipulating and patience to get them just right again so that everything lines up. Something that should have taken me 20 minutes now took me over 2 hours. 

IMG_4073_1.jpg

At the end of the day, everything went together well and I was happy.

Before

IMG_1409.jpg

After

IMG_4193.jpgIMG_4195.jpg

So, I drove the car for the first time last night, and I drove it to work today. Unfortunately from sitting apart with no fluid in the master cylinder for so long, it failed. I have a tilton that I bought from Jason89i but I dont want to install it just yet because I need to figure out new lines and mounting. So I will be installing a new master and possibly a booster if that is bad too(I hope not). Other than that the car drove rather good and feels a lot more solid and responsive now that everything is new. I also was able to lower it more since the bushings are not all sloppy and flexy.

So my new master cylinder should be showing up today as I paid for express shipping. My new issue is the LSD 4.10 diff I just installed. At speeds is whines or whurrs loudly so I assume a bearing is bad. Besides that, under load, or initial power engagement, there is a clunk coming from the rear end. at first I was assuming it was the new axles, but now under further inspection, I am fairly certain it is worn gears or clutch discs inside the Diff. It seemed smooth outside of the car, but that's no comparison to actually putting it under load.I also just swapped new royal purple fluid into it praying it would make a difference. I need a new LSD while I rebuild this one. Does anyone have a good LSD 3.73 or 4.10 they are willing to part with?

I don't think you want a small case though...

I found A viscous LSD from a guy in Chicago via help from Snap! Thanks for the offer though.

Not a fan on an e30

Gross.

I agree. I was thinking they might look good on my civic...

final_083_zps37a0b3f0.jpg

Also in other news I ordered and installed a new master cylinder from a 750i to upgrade from a 22.3mm master to a 25mm. It helped a lot and my brakes feel more solid, But like I feared, when the master went bad, so did my booster, and I have about an inch of brake pedal that does nothing. So I managed to pick up a booster from Cmart this weekend and will be installing it this week.

• 5 weeks later...

So I haven't updated much in awhile. I was able to get my car drivable and I made the 1800 mile trip to Helen, Ga. for SoWo 2015. My car ran great the whole time minus the traffic jams and slight overheating because clutch fan. I almost made it back unscathed but shitty roads got the best of me, even though I made it just fine through hours of carving mountain roads including the tail of the dragon. Some where along the flat borings of Kentucky, I cracked a barrel on one of my HRE's. So lucky enough, one of my good friends let me burrow a set of BBS Rs's he had sitting around. 

Oh and BTW they are for sale  ;)

E30_BBS_RS_06.jpg

E30_BBS_RS_07.jpg

E30_BBS_RS_01.jpg

E30_BBS_RS_05.jpg

E30_BBS_RS_04.jpg

Are those Andy's wheels?

Yes, my friend paul traded him for the HRE's that are on Andys FC

So....you need to buy them

Nah, Im good.

Those wheels look infinitely better than the HRE's.

I agree, slightly. The rolling DIA isnt large enough and the rears look oddly small in person. Once I fix my barrel I am going to sell my HRE's and get some futura's or Types A's.

• Jdesign changed the title to 1JZ E30 Vert Build Thread with Pastry filled wheels