WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Favorite roads/favorite drives

B C

Gran Turismo 6 will have something really amazing.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-course-maker-gps-data/

A mobile app which you can log elevation and position as you drive your own car either on a local track that isnt in the game, or your favorite road, you can then upload it to the game and drive it. 

What are some of your favorite roads/drives either here in WI or other places you have driven?

I am certainly looking forward to making a trip back home to hit up some canyon drives with this app.

I grew up at the base of the mountains and was able to enjoy some incredible canyon drives. One of my favorite spots is the S-curve in Big Cottonwood Canyon, UT 

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d2515!2d-111.7248824!3d40.6341432!2m1!1e3&fid=7

Big%20Cottonwood-3.jpg

I still have yet to drive through the Kettle Moraine. 

My favorite drive here in WI so far is on the backroads around Devils Lake. They aren't particularly technical corners, but you do get some elevation change, they are nicely paved, have little traffic, generous speed limits, and you get some surprisingly steep bank angles on some of the corners which allow you to feel some g's in pretty much any car you are driving.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d59189!2d-89.6762165!3d43.4130796!2m1!1e3&fid=7

If one ever gets to visit Maui, the Hana Highway is a must. 68 miles, over 600 curves on a 1.5 lane road through the rainforest. By far the most intense public road I've ever driven. Driving it in a rented Focus made me carsick. It puts the best stretches of the PCH to shame. And once you get to Hana, continue on the southwest coastal road (Hwy 330 & 31) to make a full circle for an even more intense experience as the tarmac disappears and you wish you were in a full rally car or a Jeep.

My favorite drive here in WI so far is on the backroads around Devils Lake. They aren't particularly technical corners, but you do get some elevation change, they are nicely paved, have little traffic, generous speed limits, and you get some surprisingly steep bank angles on some of the corners which allow you to feel some g's in pretty much any car you are driving.

+1 for Devil's Lake area. There are some roads about 35 minutes southwest of Madison, near the snowboarding hill Tyrol Basin, that are pretty nice. Roads arent in perfect condition, but lots of elevation and blind corners. Haven't hit any traffic the 5 times I brought the bike down there, but gravel can be an issue from the trucks and tractors.

If one ever gets to visit Maui, the Hana Highway is a must. 68 miles, over 600 curves on a 1.5 lane road through the rainforest. By far the most intense public road I've ever driven. Driving it in a rented Focus made me carsick. It puts the best stretches of the PCH to shame. And once you get to Hana, continue on the southwest coastal road (Hwy 330 & 31) to make a full circle for an even more intense experience as the tarmac disappears and you wish you were in a full rally car or a Jeep.

That sounds incredible, especially the last line!

This was the absolute worst road I'd ever driven.  

thats really sweet for gran turismo.  my favorite roads around here are definitely west of madison, twisty and not much traffic. 

most fun road i've driven on was in Colorado. it was a mix of curves with some wide open stretches along the colorado river that you could blast because you could see 1/2 mile ahead there were no cars. at the end it was gravel so you could do some sliding. 

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-6+E%2FColorado+River+Rd&daddr=Sweetwater+Rd&hl=en&ll=39.715902,-107.050781&spn=0.186712,0.363579&sll=39.789215,-107.145624&sspn=0.046628,0.090895&geocode=FRz-XAId7U2e-Q%3BFaFIXwIddeuc-Q&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=14&t=m&z=12

i drove the e30 out there so I couldnt have had a better car for it either.

5mountains.jpg

8coriver.jpg

Ive always thought a picnic at Devils lake would be awesome but its not worth the park fee just to hang out for an hour or so. 

Post up a map/link of the route you are thinking of and see if my favorite  bits are included. I would definitely be in on a nice drive out there

We should start documenting our favorite routes. I added in the county park as a starting point for a proposed meet. Once in Spring Green one could easily get lost in all the surrounding hills :D

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=middleton+wis&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8807a8df85a11de7:0x6a171d18f2442768,Middleton,+WI&gl=us&ei=Et6bUqmCH8flsATvvYGwAg&ved=0CKoBELYD