WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

1 minute ago, wasnt m3 said:

Sounded pretty healthy in your snapchat! I really hope you can make it to the e30 picnic. It'd definitely be one of the better cars there.

Sounded really healthy to me too=) Should be a nice break in drive with the ITB's too

Well.... Had a really good night on car stuff, but can't make the picnic tomorrow. 😭

Car at was up and running quite well (with the exception of the fuel clamps constantly loosening up and leaking).  Took the car for a test drive to the gas station and ITB's felt amazing - even on a very basic tune.  Unfortunately on the way home from getting gas the car started feeling more and more sluggish, so hustled home and got it into garage.  Quite thankful I added a dial gauge to my FPR, has helped immensely in troubleshooting.  As fast as the pump would prime fuel into FPR (5 seconds or so to fill to 50psi) - the pressure would drop right back down to 0.  Thankfully the ITB's allow for easy diagnosis of some things now, so opening the throttle plates and looking down at the valves provided a clear view of an injector literally dumping fuel into cylinder 4.  

Did get some good pics and video from people as a consolation prize...

C6CC4F5F-424A-4F22-9AD5-7B85AB03E528.jpg

33BEAA42-D129-4FE1-A1EA-8DFB5FB965F9.jpg

C9583CA8-4595-4DD9-AF69-65B656F7B3AB.jpg

imagine diagnosing that without a fuel pressure gauge and the ease of itbs for viewing and chalking it up to a bunch of new parts and an unrefined tune. Nice sleuthing work though. Get a matched set of injectors if you can. The ease of tuning and idle quality will be very worthwhile.

Really starting to regret ordering my new injector set through maksinjection.com. Ordered Monday AM, and added website notes and a direct email stating I'd like the order expedited and shipped NDA if possible (with contact info stating if happily pay extra for the trouble).

5 days later and 4 unreturned emails... Still no sign of injectors.  Looks like I won't be driving the car until we get back from Mexico. 😭

1 hour ago, Snap said:

Maksinjectiom was quite a bit better before it switched hands/ownership

I ordered a set from them almost 2 years ago and zero issues... Now not so much.

If the injectors aren't here when I get back in a week though - heads are gonna roll.

• 2 weeks later...
On May 27, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Snap said:

Original owner was a guy in texas, great service and communication, new owner is in florida and leaves you hanging with communication like a depressed 16 year old gamer managing an ebay store

Back from vacation... And no injectors.

Website shows them in stock, I've emailed 5 times over two weeks pleading to please ship ASAP and I'll be happy to pay for expedited shipping.... Zero responses back.

Time to cancel order and buy somewhere else.  I'll never recommend anyone to purchase from Maksinjection - absolute garbage company.

Started the PayPal dispute process with MAKSInjection... That should be fun.

In the meantime - I got a referral to "MEPEH" for injectors.  Sent them some messages on my predicament, and got immediate responses back with good info and willingness to help.  Less then an hour later I had (2) injectors and some spare o-rings being shipped NDA - with plenty of unnecessary pictures of him boxing and at post office.

Cant say enough good things about that kind of service - good prices and great communication will always have me coming back!

So temporary injectors will be here tomorrow until I get my crap service resolved with MAKS - which means I should be up and running by tomorrow night!!!

Got home - and injectors from MEPEH were there waiting for me!  Injectors installed and back up be running as of last night (thanks Ben!).

Unfortunately, my brand new alternator was not working so as it ran and drove - it was dropping voltage.  So removed alternator and bringing it in after work to test - and likely have a new one ordered.

Well.... That didn't go as planned.

FPR gauge was still showing a very fast pressure drop once it hit operating PSI.  Found injector #5 to be leaking... Thankfully I had ordered 2 injectors when #4 was leaking so pulled apart - replaced - and tried again.

Still leaking down pressure.

So kept looking..... And found this in intake runner #6:

15F371E1-BF02-4130-9985-AC756C8EB124.jpg

The greenish hue towards the bottom is standing fuel.  The small silver "spot" in the bottom of the runner just in front of the lake of fuel is the vacuum port... 

So my entire vacuum manifold and some of the lines were full of fuel as well.  Time for all new injectors.

When it rains - it pours...

Recieved 6 new injectors, replaced and pressurized system..... No fuel leaks from injectors..... Just fuel pissing outta the vacuum manifold (if I wouldn't have been been soo pissed it would have been hilarious - all 6 vacuum ports were unplugged and leaking fuel EVERYWHERE).

Apparently my brand new Aeromotive FPR was back-feeding fuel out the vacuum port and filling the vacuum system.  So going to call Aeromotive and going to try to order a rebuild kit this AM.  It would be covered under warranty, but I don't wanna mess with removal/shipping/waiting - I just want this thing to run!!!