WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Savin Big Money Project Thread

jc43089

Went all "Earl" on the engine bay last night.  I'm not getting that fancy, just cutting out all of the brackets that I won't be using.  Don't need any of the wiring that comes out on the PS so I just pushed it all through the firewall hole still intact, and put all of the extra stuff on the DS back up into the fusebox.

002_zps6a72814b.jpg

001_zps1aa53af3.jpg

003_zpsd1fed823.jpg

Something to consider, if you want to retain use of the washers you can get the euro reservoir that sits in the front bumper area. Project looks to be going well! Keep up the good work!

Good to know, I will check that out if I miss the washers.  Got the new overflow brackets welded in.  Using 3/16ths pop rivets for the firewall side, didn't want to start a fire that I couldn't put out.  I will wait to finish that one until it's painted.

004_zps6158db29.jpg

006_zps1d2a9324.jpg

Good thing I am installing reinforcements, too much giviner apparently.

007_zpsdea12143.jpg

Engine mounts are different heights somehow??  Shorter one was on passenger side.

008_zpscf534b96.jpg

Yea they were about 3/8" different, I think they have some sort of fluid inside of them because I tore one open before and it had black fluid in it about the consistency of brake fluid.  Maybe the collapsed ones have sprung a leak and lost the oil.

I'm a big fan of the e30 overflow mod, no more messing around bleeding coolant, and it's all oem parts.  I did it to the late e36 that I replaced the head on and it worked fantastic.  Early cars you have to remove the unused battery tray and move the jumpstart terminal.  Late cars have the jumpstart terminal on the fender out of the way but you have to relocate the smog pump or get rid of it, on that one I put it in the bumper.

So I just want to put in a plug for AKG, parts look great, prices were best by far, even on the oem kit for the rear subframe mounts.  But better than that is the speed.  +1 for buying local.

Thursday: placed order 2:05 PM

UPS tracking said they had the package at 3:55pm

Friday: package delivered 3:03PM

And that was with the cheapest shipping option.

Reinforcements.

020_zpsaae62450.jpg

Got the rear suspension dissasembled.

019_zpseab15d6e.jpg

What on earth is this thing for?  Vibration damping?

017_zps53998a79.jpg

Had my helper.

011_zps356567c5.jpg

She was running the ratchet good until she saw the camera, then she just wanted her picture taken.

013_zps33255a62.jpg

First look in 45k, looks like the Royal Purple is doing it's job. 

021_zps492247e5.jpg

Ben (bfinley) came over and helped me swap the intake cam.  Got lucky that this reman head was an obd2 head with 33mm lifters already, so it was a quick drop in swap.  First time swapping a cam and it was actually really easy, turned so cylinder 1 was the only one with pressure on it and removed all of the other caps then slowly brought the cap between the #1 lobes up and reverse to install new one (m54b30).

024_zps1d72bf48.jpg

She will be 2 in May, her hair is so long that she looks older, it is fun when she comes out to "help" me.  I hope that doesn't change when she gets older. 

The head was a clean reman one when I put it on, that's after 5yrs/45k.  I use Royal Purple HPS 5w-30 changed about every 10k, with a filter change about every 5k.

Edit: HPS not XPS

And it's also cheaper than changing conventional at 3, even if you disregard the filter change.  Also more time spent driving, less time changing oil...

$3/qt conventional x7(3) = $63

+3 filters at $8 = $24

=$87

$8.30/qt amazon price RP HPS x 7 = 58.10

+ 2 filters at $8 = $16

=$74.10