WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e34 Touring

straight6pwr

did some 'spirited' driving today...wow this car can actually handle!  even on stock 15" snow tires, its finally a blast to chuck around the corners. the tires are a little overworked and i think i got some extra toe-out from the lowering (squeeeeeeeeel) but the handling is very neutral, and any slop or clunking is finally gone.

hopefully the 18" setup will improve things even more.

<3 my e34. this top hit, also from 94, sums up my feelings right now:

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple more things done from the spring cleanup list. hoping to be all done with everything next weekend so I can spend the rest of the summer enjoying the car and doing other summer things.

got some new floor mats. have been running rubber ugly mats that came with the car since I got it.

NgPcged.jpg

also, when I did the suspension swap, i found one dead ball joint on the thrust arms, and one dead one on a sway bar link, so i swapped those out, got an alignment, and got the summer wheels on. I went to Firestone since they were closest to my house and had some open time in the morning, but i had to sit there and convince them they could do the alignment...  'Oh, we're sorry, we don't align BMWs here because of all the weight that is required, blah, blah, blah.'  SOB its a 20 year old car with only one adjustment!

anyways it was worth it because i was able to put the new kicks on.  18x8" (square) Style 32s with 225/45 all-seasons.  Went with those tires for lower weight, less rolling resistance, and road-tripping ability (mountain snow, dirt roads, etc)

zKvIL2u.jpg

LIQKhQ2.jpg

naQVuDE.jpg

she's begging for spacers in the back, but we will see.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/12/2016 at 6:30 AM, Snap said:

Your headlights r garbage. 

I have Finding Nemo flashlights that r better than that

But really, im interested in there being a WIBIMMERS 2017 calendar or something and we should put your photography to use at some of these meets.

I would help with a calendar, sure.

another update towards the car becoming the Ultimate Daily-ing Machine

Installed a Curt Class I hitch.  Was going to be building a teardrop camper to tow, but sadly that won't happen. Next plan is maybe a small boat and using a trailer to pickup bigger engines.

9PPsnWK.jpg

it bolts to the underside of the bumper, and in these three places under the body. its rated to 150lbs tongue weight, but i stood on it and bounced and i'm a well overweight at 2 1/4 and nothing broke so i have confidence in it.
o0lXf5h.jpg

FvkqTQY.jpg

still finishing up the wiring, but the cool part is i can hide the plug behind the tow hook cover to keep it pretty protected from dirt/rain/snow.

wiring done.  labeled it for anyone else who is thinking of doing this.  because the e34 has the light check system, the wiring adapter you need is the kind that takes its power from the car's battery, and the splice wires to the lights only give the adapter the signal for which lights to turn on. that way the voltage drop/raise is so low the system doesn't throw a check light.

mounted it inside the passenger side panel since I don't really use this side for storage.

r7QSwDZ.jpg

factory sound insulation fits right over the top of it so i can still put stuff in here if i want to with damaging anything.

don't mind the brown burned-looking crap on the ground wire. there was mystery goo on the bottom of the insulation that i didnt notice till it was too late.

227oFxU.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2016 at 0:35 PM, visian said:

Looks great! I've been considering adding a hitch to my e46 wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

did some touring things with the touring today. i custom built the tandem rack by re purposing a set of two regular bike holders. new tandem racks cost $300-400, I did this one for $15 in hardware (i found the racks on the side of the road)

og2i4ys.jpg

• 3 weeks later...