WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I am likely going to put a cover over it or just put the light on a switch. Shall see, for now it will just blind me.

My dad asked for this video today, which I kind of forgot about. Always good for a chuckle.

I've always thought the noise once I got up there was the tires slipping, but I now see it was the rear bumper touching the ground. Impressive. 
It looks so much more boring in video!

Got the alternator mount figured out the other day, isn't anything great, but it works and drives the water pump just fine.

IMG_20171219_191628

I cut apart the existing power steering brackets as the shape of them caused belt interference with the primary belt, and that was no good.
Was going to weld it back together, but realized there isn't much of a need for it. So it shall do for now!

IMG_20171219_191621

Got the appropriate upper radiator hose in, fits much better!

IMG_20171218_191201

IMG_20171218_191155

IMG_20171221_204819

It's starting to look better. Though I know it will never look good. 
Added an air filter to the turbo, as well as a boost controller in the off chance I can get more than waste-gate pressure. 
Made a mount for the fuel filter as well as installing the late model style expansion tank. 

I worked on bleeding the cooling system last night and feel pretty confident that I got it right the first go, which is nice. 

More things to do, weld plate over EGR port on the intake tube (currently has a kinked hose on it), route crank case breather somewhere, create an actual exhaust. 

Things are nearing completion for the swap! Then it's back to chassis based goodness! 

4 hours ago, Jdesign said:

The block heater is pretty awesome, that video is even better!!. As im sure you are aware, replace those v-belts before you snap one!

Haha, I actually didn't notice that. The main belt (Water pump and alt.) is new, due to needing a custom length.
The power steering belt is clearly old and should be replaced now that I look at it. Though I could also just wait for it to break lol. 

1 hour ago, Snap said:

Back to daily driver duty in january then eh? Nice work dude, very quick work on this a-typical project

I somewhat fear for starting it in the cold, especially knowing that the starter sticks if it doesn't start. Going to try leaving it outside this Tuesday (high of -1 here....) and see if it starts on its own (fuel gel, battery, tolerances etc) and I guess if it passes that test I may drive it frequently. 
The more I drive it the more I want to change the clutch over, so maybe driving it a lot is a good idea. 

Thanks for the kind words!

^Meh, why not.

Just ordered an intercooler, because this pig needs more power! 
Was driving it around Saturday and attempted to get up to highway speed, and it was painful. I don't have a tach (yet) and wasn't WOT so I guess there may be more in it, but holy crap was it crawling along. 

It was fun snapping necks during accel, black smoke coming from the hood. 

To do list. 
-Tach
-Oil Temp gauge (ordered)
-Intercooler (pipe routing unsure)
-Crank case breather to intake filter

I find to do lists amusing, as this car will never be "done".

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

^Meh, why not.

Just ordered an intercooler, because this pig needs more power! 
Was driving it around Saturday and attempted to get up to highway speed, and it was painful. I don't have a tach (yet) and wasn't WOT so I guess there may be more in it, but holy crap was it crawling along. 

It was fun snapping necks during accel, black smoke coming from the hood. 

To do list. 
-Tach
-Oil Temp gauge (ordered)
-Intercooler (pipe routing unsure)
-Crank case breather to intake filter

I find to do lists amusing, as this car will never be "done".

Same. I need lists otherwise I forget what I need to do though.

Diesel

Of little or no surprise it didn't want to start last night. Took a look in the fuel tank.
It cranked over fine but was puffing blackish smoke and not running, so I know it wont work in -5 degree weather now.

IMG_20171227_182225

Would  ya look at that?

Pulled it with the E90 so I could move it inside and warm it up to get it running, which took a bit. But it started after a bit of heat from the shop and a hairdryer and the block heater.

IMG_20171227_184329

Stanceboi shot of the exhaust

IMG_20171227_190836

I bought a flapper for the exhaust yesterday, but realized that the pipe isn't long enough for proper function, and then I won't be able to open the hood. So that is going to sit on the shelf until I return it. 

I started hacking apart a spare E harness to use the crank sensors and ecu to get a tach signal back in my life. I think I'm going to need to switch flywheels due to a key that is on the E flywheel that isn't on the E46 one. That will also fix my weird feeling clutch so it would be nice, but a lot of work. 

38 minutes ago, HipMF said:

I haven't researched it at all, but I would think you'd be able to get a tach signal from a Hall effect sensor, without the need for an ECU. :confused:

Yeah there is a lot of conflicting info on the interwebs about what is needed. 
The early clusters do not have coding plugs, so either the ECU is putting out a preconditioned signal, or it is just a pass-through. 

Going to try the more complicated way first just to see if I can use the E46 flywheel, because the tach used to work just fine. 
I can also find what type of signal the ECU is putting out. 

3 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Yeah there is a lot of conflicting info on the interwebs about what is needed. 
The early clusters do not have coding plugs, so either the ECU is putting out a preconditioned signal, or it is just a pass-through. 

Going to try the more complicated way first just to see if I can use the E46 flywheel, because the tach used to work just fine. 
I can also find what type of signal the ECU is putting out. 

No monster tach through the cluster?

Image result for monster tach