WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

Like many, I have always lusted after a clean E30 for a project car. I have always kept an eye out for the perfect car at the right price - I just hadn't run across one.... Until recently.

I had actually seen this car years ago in a friends garage, he had acquired it from Alabama and had bought a set of staggered Borbet Type A's from me to install on it. At the time he had no intention to sell it, so I just admired it and dreamed of owning my own some day.

I ran into this same friend at a local show this summer, and I asked if he had any shells laying around the shop he wanted to part with (he always had cars coming and going outta the shop). He said he could be convinced to sell the E30, since he was moving soon and didn't want to bring it with him. His brother had a "incident" with a pole and curb, and the car had sat for a year or two... And he didn't have the time or cash to fix it back up. I swung up to check it out:

A44BA9F5-0A38-495D-978B-16ABCE24EA45-284

0B21A705-BFF4-4D7B-BD5D-440E6521E6B3-284

83C8C31F-40C0-4268-BF89-673A97EC3473-284

Obviously is alittle "rough" - but you can tell the paint will clean up really well, has zero rust, and had everything I wanted (manual, sunroof, pop out rear windows, late model, non airbag).

A deal was struck for me to get the car....

Back from paint late last week - and working on the drivers side paint (clay bar, polish/buff, and wax soon).

78C9CC0F-8CD2-45DC-92F8-80C612CB4E29-708

53EB1C12-77C0-408A-B3A1-4CFCC6F53C8C-921

Did the timing belt, thermostat, waterpump, spark plugs, etc... So it's drivable before snow falls (car won't be driven in winter, but wanna get some wheel time in before snow falls):

C697B2EA-0C3D-4370-9241-8D66DB60B1AD-603

I have the trunk and roof to finish tonight, then a coat of wax on and she's good to drive. Waiting to install the front bumper trim until the smoked turns and side markers I ordered arrive (hopefully by this weekend!).

More to come as the winter goes on. Suspension, brakes, dropping rear subframe, wheels..... Gonna be a busy winter!!!

Swing over anytime I'm out there Brian!

I'm in Oshkosh, so if local people wanna swing over and hang out in the garage and sling wrenches... Hit me up. I've gotta get a thermostat and some wiring to finalize for my garage heater - but once I do we'll have 75k BTU's of downdraft heater win to keep us warm (and an adult beverage or 3 if it's super cold). If you haven't seen the pic, here's the "old" project in my garage:

E7B7698A-F6A1-46ED-8801-BB596ADE778C-200

Spray some scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner in that bay and hit it with a pressure washer to see it looking good as new=)

I did a quick soap and water wash before it went to paint..... Which I shouldn't have bothered with since it came back filthy.

I'll get it clean Earl.... There will be a lot of painted and coated parts in that bay before spring arrives. ;)

Had my daily warming up in the driveway this AM - and said "screw it - I'll drive the E30!".

First trip down the highway with it, drove great! (Farthest I had driven it so far was 2-3 miles from home on city streets, I work 20 minutes north on 41). Alittle more valve train noise then I'm used to - but nothing more then I feel is acceptable.

Barring any changes - it's ready for a trip up to Arc Asylum on Saturday for skip plate creation and installation!

I wan to get some miles on before winter getting to know the car, so I know what I need to work on to be ready when spring gets here.

Car drives nice, sits at 3k rpm at 70-72mph, didn't try the cruise yet (will in way home), pulls alittle to the right but car will need an alignment after I go through all the suspension stuff anyways. Brakes are "squishy" at first pedal push, but firm up towards the bottom of the pedal range.

After driving VWs for years, it's weird owning another 2 door car... Especially one that's RWD. Gonna take some relearning to feel comfortable with the rear end getting squirly and oversteer. I'll have plenty if time in spring tho.