WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

1 minute ago, jc43089 said:

I can't imagine it would be more difficult on a P1 than a P2.  I would do it soon if you don't know when the last time was.

I have no idea when it was done... probably not for a long time. I'm calling around trying to get quotes, I intended to sell it but it wouldn't feel right knowing the belt situation could really fuck the new owner.

The only reason Steven Baldessari passes as an artist is because he has a fancy last name. If his name was Steven Johnson nobody would care about his doodles. Speaking of Johnson's: the only reason he can get away with holding a red wang is because he has a fancy last name

5f37cbd41887b1304a23d33155fa677d.jpg

I think its actually just bare carbon, so they didn't even paint it (looks cool, but not an art car without the app). It's a neat idea but you can really only experience it if you are next to the car in person and from what I can tell you need to have an iphone, as the only link posted by bmw for the app was to the apple app store. As an android user I'll just have to make due with an unpainted M6...

17 minutes ago, Earl said:

I don't know how to say it without being offensive to people who do design and digital work, but the talent it took to make that app and design what he did isn't something "world class artist" to me. 

offensive or not, you are right. we have the power of supercomputers and we get 3D squiggly doodles.

I mean sure the app effects look somewhat neat but isn't the whole purpose of an art car to have a car covered in art? I understand each artist has a different medium but they should really keep it to artists who phyisically alter the car

I mean it is a bare carbon car with an app. So technically it is just a bare carbon car now lol. Not painting or applying a single thing to the body doesnt seem to make it art to me. To be minimalist they would have had to put some sort of mark on the car.

4 hours ago, Earl said:

Hence minimal, not none lol

The number 18 is on the side.  How much more minimal do you want!?  Let's go back in time and say they never told us there was an app to use and BMW just said "Hey, we're saying fuck it and here's a bare carbon car we're going to race."  That situation would have been better than, "Ohhhhh! Look how progressive and abstract we are!".  Maybe there's a segment of their audience that "get's it" but clearly they missed the mark with the core audience that can't afford to buy a new car.

That's just a normal door number in helvetica... She didn't decide the number or font lol

I am just saying as an art car, there is no art without the app. If it were just a new car that they stated "Hey we are running the new car without a livery." it would be one thing. I believe that the reason this is art is because it is "innovative and unlike any art car before". At the end of the day, it is nothing without the app or location that they are doing the VR experience. No extra work was actually put onto the car hands on by the artist to alter the way it physically sits on this earth. It will just be a raw car less a livery out on the track. 

2 hours ago, Earl said:

That's just a normal door number in helvetica... She didn't decide the number or font lol

Sorry, I forgot to use my sarcastic font when I said that... But how do you know she didn't specifically choose helvetica for it's bold no nonsense statement making potential yet universal acceptance as a font standard!

I didn't realize you were so passionate about art and what defines art.  My point is this is stupid.  I understand it from a concept and how it is perceived as art but I still think it's stupid and that's the point of art, evoke emotion.  In this case it evokes contempt and disappointment.  Just the same way you could perceive bare carbon as art.  The way it reflects and absorbs light, the pattern consistency, etc.