WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

X5 vs Range Rover vs Cayenne

CMart

Question

Truck is gone and I am going to sell my E60 in the spring. Going to buy an SUV that will do both of their jobs. 

Trying to decide between an X5, Rover Sport, on Cayenne Turbo. 

Reliabilty is important to me and I want it to have a tow package. 

Anyone have personal experience with any of the above?

22 answers to this question

Not a biased opinion because I've driven multiple generations of those three SAV's but the X5 xDrive35D would be my 1st choice or 2nd a xDrive35i with a tune. Two  managers at concours have have or had diesel X5's they frequently towed 12ft enclosed trailers with hauling sleds and bikes. 

Out of those three the most reliable I feel would be the BMW too. If in the budget, a facelift 2nd gen X5 2008+? Would be my choice because of the enhanced interior and better iDrive system. Even then the X5 interiors aren't anything special but they are comfortable and functional. Some even have the 3rd row seat option.

Cayenne turbo's are very nice, probably my favorite out of the three to drive but I don't think it would make for a reliable tow vehicle. Rovers are nice too but having driven low mileage examples to the dealer for repairs just from sitting on the sales lot eliminates them for reliability. 

None of these vehicles had factory tow packages per say that I know of but transmission coolers should be standard and factory tow hitches were a dealer installed option. Keep in mind the ~6k towing capacity.

In the end though pick something you can be happy with driving everyday. If you don't do much towing at all they all can get away with occasional towing. Test drive all 3 to form your own opinions.

The Range will, by far, be the most unreliable vehicle of the 3.  The Cayenne would be the most fun of the bunch but prepare your butthole for the cost of basic repairs.  I was shocked the first time I worked on one, we did front pads and rotors (with parts from the dealer) and it was over $1000 in parts.  Our labor to install the parts was only $60.  I'm sure you can find cheaper parts but from what I've seen, nothing is cheap on those.

The X5's are awesome.  While I was in the shop I set up a few of these with hitch and wiring kits.  I remember one specifically on a 2nd gen Alpine White X35d with fewer than 2k miles that the guy picked up off the line in South Carolina.  He had me take it from Waukesha to Concours when I was done with it to have different aero put on.  I know he said he planned on hauling his boat and jet ski's with it.  I had a 3rd gen X5xdrive35i as a loaner from Zimbrick when my turbo's were getting done and that thing was a blast!  I drove it around 1500 miles while we had it with my longest drive going from Janesville to Eau Claire and back.

We were seriously considering an X5 for my wife but she fell in love with the Volvo XC90.

Early Cayenne turbo's are less than $20 right now, it's my wife's dream car and we looked at a 2005 with 80k miles.  Very well taken care of but it's age was showing.  She wisely took my advance and decided against the Cayenne.

I don't know if you are dead set on the Cayenne turbo but the Cayenne S has a nice V8.  It's not really any cheaper as far as parts go but you can get into one for about the same price as a similarly optioned X5.  The Turbo's are more comparable to the X5M in price.