WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My new 1995 540i/6

BMWben

skip the name brand exhaust.  these motors sound so freakin good all on there own, and it doesn't take $1200 to get that sound.  go down to the muffler shop, have them cut off the stock muffler and replace with a y-pipe and a cheap single pipe 3" muffler like a magnaflow and you will drool at the sound your $300 exhaust makes.  a side bonus is that you will lose a ton of weight from the stock can to the smaller aftermarket one.

my m20 e30 with a magnaflow muffler sounded awesome

my m50 swap e30 with a $50 auto parts store 'turbo' muffler sounded awesome

you could also delete the resonator if it was still too quiet for you. here it is on a wimpy m60b30:

skip the name brand exhaust.  these motors sound so freakin good all on there own, and it doesn't take $1200 to get that sound.  go down to the muffler shop, have them cut off the stock muffler and replace with a y-pipe and a cheap single pipe 3" muffler like a magnaflow and you will drool at the sound your $300 exhaust makes.  a side bonus is that you will lose a ton of weight from the stock can to the smaller aftermarket one.

Straight pipe it. Or side exit exhaust. Or run open headers.

Straight pipe is probably what is going to be happening for a long time but I'm ok with that. 

Dominic's 540 with "muffler delete" sounds amazing.

Im a fan of electronic cutouts, it would be a nice option. 

I am worried that the exhaust I am making for my car (just a 14" long resonator) is going to be stupid loud

Glasspack/resonator pretty much the same thing.  Have you heard Mikes e28?  That's all we put on his car, the glasspack is about there the cats were, and then single pipe out the back.  It would be a little loud as a DD if you had a long commute but not too bad.

nope, have not heard mikes car, now he is obligated to post burnout videos. 

The hope is that the snail acting as ~1/3 of a muffler (rule of thumb) will help it become more acceptable. 

A stock Neon SRT4 is probably my ideal volume level and they have just a resonator, cat, and turbine as far as I know

nope, have not heard mikes car, now he is obligated to post burnout videos. 

The hope is that the snail acting as ~1/3 of a muffler (rule of thumb) will help it become more acceptable. 

A stock Neon SRT4 is probably my ideal volume level and they have just a resonator, cat, and turbine as far as I know

Yes, hopefully next Tuesday we make some more progress on getting an engine and trans in it.  Then it's burnout time!!

Hopefully Dominic will chime in but since I've ridden/driven his car I can attest to it being very quiet on the highway and during city driving since the stock resonators are still in place. Check out the videos he posted on his gopro mount thread. 

I've heard Mike's 528e too and it sounds good too. 

I agree with Earl, even though the Dinan exhaust might be tired it still could be sold and a stock catback would be a good candidate for a muffler delete.

Im a fan of electronic cutouts, it would be a nice option. 

I am worried that the exhaust I am making for my car (just a 14" long resonator) is going to be stupid loud

I would like to hear what he did to his system as well. Chris showed me videos though and it is great.

you and all your neighbors will soon learn to hate your car.  straight pipe was cool on my car for exactly 2 days, then the highway drone drove me crazy.

dont just hack off your exhaust because you want more sound but can't afford to do it correctly.

This is true, I can always see what it is like though, the cats and resonator would still be on so maybe it wouldn't be to ridiculous. Money is also a factor too, I don't know what my funds will be like this summer for sure.  

Why not remove the Dinan exhaust and sell it since it should be worth some money. Then either find a stock exhaust and hack it up or have one welded up? Idk if the exhaust routing is the same for our cars but if it is I would trade you my stock exhaust for the Dinan

What exhaust would I be trading mine for or off of what car? That would be easier then selling it but I would be nice to have the cash to put something into my new exhaust though. 

Stock e34 525i exhaust. I can't find any threads on people swappung exhausts between 540's and 525's but they do say that they are routed the same way and are very similar. That leads me to believe they would swap fairly easily. We can get together some time and look at them side by side.

Stock e34 525i exhaust. I can't find any threads on people swappung exhausts between 540's and 525's but they do say that they are routed the same way and are very similar. That leads me to believe they would swap fairly easily. We can get together some time and look at them side by side.

I believe the 540 has a duel 2.25 all the way back and the 525 is probably only a single. They look similar from the realoem diagrams but not exactly the same. 

Hopefully Dominic will chime in but since I've ridden/driven his car I can attest to it being very quiet on the highway and during city driving since the stock resonators are still in place. Check out the videos he posted on his gopro mount thread. 

I've heard Mike's 528e too and it sounds good too. 

I agree with Earl, even though the Dinan exhaust might be tired it still could be sold and a stock catback would be a good candidate for a muffler delete.

I have no real issue with any drone or resonating except at ~1800-2000RPM. Even then, it is by no means unbearable. After I cut off the muffler I did not put a straight pipe in its place. If I were to do that, I am almost positive that the resonating would go away completely.

I would like to hear what he did to his system as well. Chris showed me videos though and it is great.

I am not sure how the exhaust is routed on the e34, but for mine it was very simple. All that I removed were the two scuba tank like mufflers at the rear of the car. (Cut it with a sawzall about 4" beyond the rear axle if I remember correctly.) I still have the cats and resonator in place. Eventually, I plan to extend the pipe to the back of the car, just haven't gotten around to it.

I am not sure how the exhaust is routed on the e34, but for mine it was very simple.

Looking at realoem again the systems look pretty different. When I get home I'll probably end up cutting off the rear muffler and seeing how loud it is. If its to much then I'll throw a magnaflow on there or something, maybe a dynomax vt. Can't do anything for another month and a half still.

Why not find a stock exhaust and hack it up? Cutting up a perfectly good Dinan exhaust doesnt make sense to me. Especially since there are more e34's in the junkyard than on the road and you could score a catback off of one of those for way cheaper than you could sell the Dinan