WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My new 1995 540i/6

BMWben

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! Chris was under the car the other day and said it looks clean underneath, always a good thing. Also, he saw that the muffler should just unclamp from the rest of the exhaust making it much easier to see what the system is like without it and then throwing it back on if it is to loud. Also I did some looking around for Magnaflow mufflers and I found this beauty. 

As you can see in the video is a Magnaflow, I just called Miller Performance and was told that the build used the muffler #12468 and resonator #11379. I would like to go with this muffler/resonator because it doesn't just sound like an american muscle V8 like other magnaflows which was why I was a little hesitant of going with them. It has more of a sporty tone to it or european I suppose, I like it a lot. One question I have is what are those ball looking things before the resonator, cats or what? Not that I necessarily need them I'm just more curious. Another thing is how am I going to keep the O2 sensors? According to this real ome picture, the O2 sensors (#21) are in the front of the cats. Can I just put new piping there and screw/tread a hole for them? I don't want to cause any problems with the car running rich, V8 mileage doesn't need any reasons to get worse. I suppose the O2 sensor could be in a different spot on the Dinan exhaust but if I find a different exhaust to chop up then I'll need to figure this out still.   

5.png

The catback portions of our exhausts should be the same from what it seems. If you do ditch the Dinan catback portion for custom just let me know=)

If I swap out the cat back for custom then the cats will be replaced by the resonator and all I will need will be the dual pipes going back to the new muffler. If the 525 rear system will make that work then I have no problem with swapping with you. Be easier then bending my own pipes and less expensive.

• 1 month later...

Late post but I finally got home on Monday night. Chris picked me up from the airport and I got to drive her for the first time  :D. Well actually the first thing I did was have chris start the car for me  :P. This is in the parking garage of O'Hare.

I've been driving it a ton lately, drove from O'hare to Milwaukee then Milwaukee to Madison the next day. The car is great, pulls hard and the only really bad problem is the bushing in the rear is pretty noisy. Chris and I are planning on work on it on June 1st. Shop party in Sun Prairie? I spent some time cleaning the car with my buddy in Waunakee and had my little bro take some pictures. Chris also threw some new wheels on so now I have some tread. 

10371245 10203558900830423 515555503 O

10364342 10203558900990427 995685004 O

10357266 10203558901150431 2127797742 O

10350266 10203558900910425 27083409 O

10346960 10203558901190432 921516443 N

My dad and I did did the oil change/tire swap, first real maintenance done since We picked this thing up. Changed with Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic and a BMW oem filter my dad had lying around from his old 540i.

post-2724-0-29041600-1400293202_thumb.jp

Ben was pretty happy to say the least!

post-2724-0-71489500-1400293301_thumb.jp

post-2724-0-83263300-1400293531_thumb.jp

That sounds menacing! I wouldn't change a thing on that exhaust! Wheels look good to man. Style 32?

The exhaust has opened up a lot now that it's gotten warmer out. It has a nice tone while cruising.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would do a little update. Didn't end up getting any work done last sunday but that give me more time to get some parts together. Does anyone know where to get or have a BMW Bushing Puller Tool? I need one to get the subframe bushing job done and I can't find anywhere to rent them online. Do dealers have them or possibly A to Z? Anyways I want to get that done in the near future and once that is finished I'll be replacing either the control arms or more of the front suspension as well. I found some kits, http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-control-arm-kit-6-piece-e34-e346piecesteel-l and I have to figure out if I have the money to do more then just the control arms. There is a some shaking in the front drivers side when I brake lightly and people online seem to say that is the problem. Also when I tried replacing my fog light bulb the light wouldn't come out the front of the valence like the bentley said it should. It is stuck on the left side of the light somehow, almost like the light is to big for it to come out the front but it can't go to the back either. If anyone has some tips feel free to chime in. Also please let me know if you know anything about  BMW Bushing Puller Tools.

In other news, I went to cars and coffee with Chris and a couple friends from Waunakee. It was awesome! My car showed up on the Car & Coffee Facebook page, here is the pic.

Car & Coffee

Pat also took a video from his phone but its on Facebook and we've had some problems trying to get those to play on here so he will have to post it if he wants to share. It was a great time hanging with people from the forum and meeting a couple new members.  

Congrats on a really nice car! Had a couple of E34s when I was in Germany a few of years ago. Was looking to buy one when I got home in 2012, but ended up buying an E30 Vert instead. Would still love another E34, but, don't have the money or room for another car. The vert would have to go.