WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1978 e21 m20 turbo swap, AKA What did I get myself into

bfinley

Well Freyja finally got into the shop today so I put her on jackstands to snap some pictures.

After getting a look at the floor the first order of business is to strip the carpet to see how bad the holes are.

The motor and trans will happen between the rust repair and I'll keep updating as I make progress to stay motivated.

Without further adieu, pictures.

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

This thread excites me

You said you were going to do an M20 swap right? Are you going to use a carb!?!?!?

Despite the rust so am I.

I am doing an M20 swap, plus a turbo! even though I have the carb intake and the original solex 4 barrel plus an adaptor plate and holly 4 barrel the plan is to go EFI.

Unless in a sleep deprived state after hours of cutting out rust I change my mind and go with set of webers ... because they're sexy and I dont care if they don't make 300whp.

Currently an m20b20 block, we'll see how far I decide to bore it out.

Ill have pictures of the block itself in a couple weeks when I get it out of storage.

Pvegas, I like that !

The goal is to be drive able by June 20th I'd like to take it to the MAP proving grounds in brainerd. We'll see how the rust affects that timeline.

I'll be investing in a welder, an air compressor, and some air tools soon

I just got my first tig welder. air compressor coming next! its sucks having to spend a G at least for good air.

Just got done hanging out in the shop with John and Mike (I'm awful with names but I think that's right) talking through possibilities and the challenges of rust...

Here are some links to the strange influences for the car right now

Now before you rage quit whilst screaming "THOSEARENTBMWS" keep in mind that my first car was a Camaro and my last two cars were Subarus. So I've got this American muscle, Japanese import bent, and now I have a BMW. So it seems natural to me to blend euro, import, and muscle together.

More importantly, the wheels off the Z, the interior from that martini mustang, and crazy inline six feeding straight pipes that dump in front of the rear wheels...

Just got done hanging out in the shop with John and Mike (I'm awful with names but I think that's right) talking through possibilities and the challenges of rust...

Here are some links to the strange influences for the car right now

http://youtu.be/EO2y_-vpolA

http://youtu.be/oFPLXdmamPw

Now before you rage quit whilst screaming "THOSEARENTBMWS" keep in mind that my first car was a Camaro and my last two cars were Subarus. So I've got this American muscle, Japanese import bent, and now I have a BMW. So it seems natural to me to blend euro, import, and muscle together.

More importantly, the wheels off the Z, the interior from that martini mustang, and crazy inline six feeding straight pipes that dump in front of the rear wheels...

You got both our names right lol

Does anyone have a drivers seat that isn't torn?

My insurance decided that it cant be insured as a "classic" with the cracked dash and torn seat.... so that they can jump my premium from 100 dollars a year to 560 a year...

I'm going to make the dash at least look fixed... but I don't have a seat to put in.