WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1978 e21 m20 turbo swap, AKA What did I get myself into

bfinley

The dash will go back after I add some tubing for structural integrity.

John you know Mike and I aren't as meticulous as you are, we'll just remember where everything went right? ok there isn't a chance I'll rememer and we definitely didn't label them. Most everything in the dash however will not be going back. I'll be making a custom gauge cluster with lots of aircraft style switches, because I can !

Snap, this car will be driving and painted by the end of the summer

:cool:   This does nothing except get me in trouble with my wife for spending too much money on oem parts...  I would not recommend being OCD like me.

Ok after a ride in Mikes e28 I'm chomping at the bit to get the motor and trans together and back in the car... (after fixing the floor and all that nonsense.)

So I need a clutch and flywheel since the ETA motor I bought off mike was an autotragic.

Pelican and BAVauto want roughly 5-700 dollars for a clutchkit and flywheel so I've turned to ebay.

Before I pull the trigger I'd like some reassurance that I'm buying the right parts since I'm frankensteining parts from different years together.

Motor is out of a '84 528e which is what I've speced the clutch and flywheel for.

Trans is a midyear 85/86 GT260

Pretty sure it should all match up....

Here are the links I'm looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SACHS-FX-CLUTCH-KIT-84-93-BMW-325-e-es-i-is-ix-525i-528e-2-5L-2-7L-E28-E30-E34-/400687829057?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1984|Make%3ABMW|Model%3A528e&hash=item5d4adb1041&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-PRO-KIT-BMW-325i-325is-325ix-525i-2-5L-E30-E34-M20-528e-2-7L-E28-/161027461479?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1984|Make%3ABMW|Model%3A528e&hash=item257dfc1167&vxp=mtr

May have just found a clutch and flywheel on car-parts.com fingers crossed

I want my car back!

Ok after a ride in Mikes e28 I'm chomping at the bit to get the motor and trans together and back in the car... (after fixing the floor and all that nonsense.)

So I need a clutch and flywheel since the ETA motor I bought off mike was an autotragic.

Pelican and BAVauto want roughly 5-700 dollars for a clutchkit and flywheel so I've turned to ebay.

Before I pull the trigger I'd like some reassurance that I'm buying the right parts since I'm frankensteining parts from different years together.

Motor is out of a '84 528e which is what I've speced the clutch and flywheel for.

Trans is a midyear 85/86 GT260

Pretty sure it should all match up....

Here are the links I'm looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SACHS-FX-CLUTCH-KIT-84-93-BMW-325-e-es-i-is-ix-525i-528e-2-5L-2-7L-E28-E30-E34-/400687829057?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1984|Make%3ABMW|Model%3A528e&hash=item5d4adb1041&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-PRO-KIT-BMW-325i-325is-325ix-525i-2-5L-E30-E34-M20-528e-2-7L-E28-/161027461479?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1984|Make%3ABMW|Model%3A528e&hash=item257dfc1167&vxp=mtr

May have just found a clutch and flywheel on car-parts.com fingers crossed

I want my car back!

You may want to just buy a lightweight flywheel/ clutch setup, I spent 290 on an OE Sachs clutch for my e30.  Those are "i" clutches to go with a single mass flywheel, you can tell because of the sprung hub center, clutches for a dual mass flywheel have solid centers.  Connor is coming over tomorrow and we are putting in an F1 flywheel with Sachs clutch in his e36.  I think it was around 500 for clutch and flywheel.

Buy an LUK kit from rockauto. LUK is a BMW OEM supplier and often uses sachs parts in their kits too but for a lower price. You'd have to research the difference between those too part numbers as I'm not sure. I'd reccomend with what John is saying, you'll want a beefier clutch for the turbo application. Any M20/M5X clutch will fit, its just a matter of your price range.

LUK Part # 03010 Idle-stage Damper (Only 1 Remaining) $138.79
LUK Part # 03013 Idle-stage Damper (Only 1 Remaining) $154.79
SACHS Part # KF29603 {#KF29601} Body code E28; Outer Diam: 9; Inner Diam: 1 1/8; TEETH:10T (Only 1 Remaining) $192.79

Buy an LUK kit from rockauto. LUK is a BMW OEM supplier and often uses sachs parts in their kits too but for a lower price. You'd have to research the difference between those too part numbers as I'm not sure. I'd reccomend with what John is saying, you'll want a beefier clutch for the turbo application. Any M20/M5X clutch will fit, its just a matter of your price range.

LUK Part # 03010 Idle-stage Damper (Only 1 Remaining) $138.79
LUK Part # 03013 Idle-stage Damper (Only 1 Remaining) $154.79
SACHS Part # KF29603 {#KF29601} Body code E28; Outer Diam: 9; Inner Diam: 1 1/8; TEETH:10T (Only 1 Remaining) $192.79

Are the non-sprung centers just solid steel or is there a rubber damper inside, I have never worked with a dual mass clutch. 

The solid center clutches go with dual mass flywheels, the sprung hub clutch goes with a solid flywheel.  They serve the same purpose, the most noticeable of which is absorb vibration between power pulses at idle to prevent gear rattle in the transmission.  There are some kits that sell a solid clutch and solid flywheel.  I would steer clear as this is pretty sketch.