WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1978 e21 m20 turbo swap, AKA What did I get myself into

bfinley

John at least they could have done a better job with the welds ! that template would be awesome so I can move on those kamotors flares.Snap, truth about miata guys. This one belongs to a local tuner, Matt schreck. It's affectionately named the unicorn and is going to get giant googly eyes and rainbow decals

That is hilarious!

Transmission is out, driveshaft, glass, and dash are next.

Did some exploratory wire brush grinding in the trunk which revealed fiberglass covering welded patch panels... And am now covered in fiberglass slivers ...

2ygusyqy.jpg

I'm glad I don't have to do all the patches, but I'm pretty sure a blind monkey can weld better than this

From that pic it looks like selector rod is very long.  I would think it is very similar though, what is the date on your g260?  Early ones have a steel plate carrier like the one on your 4spd, late ones have an aluminum shift carrier.  And some in the middle have provisions for both.  The date should be inside the bellhousing I think.

That carrier looks quite different than the early 260 one.  Went back to your pic and it has the spot above the shift link on the back for the aluminum carrier, see if the holes below that on the back are tapped or not, hard to see in the pic but it looks like it has the spots for the eta sensors on the drivers side of the bellhousing.

• 2 weeks later...

Really wallowing in the "what did I get myself into" mood this evening. Took the grinder to ever rust bubble in the paint I could... Rockers are gone, front fenders will probably be replaced along with the floor pans.

Gonna make a big push this weekend to get the glass out and then buy paint stripper. We're going to take her down to bare metal

When a car goes down to bare metal, what is done to prep it for paint to prevent humidity in the air from propagating microscopic rust spots that will grow under the paint?

Primer? Not really sure

John thank you, we'll see where I get with the glass over the weekend

So I ordered new flywheel bolts and didn't realize that the single mass flywheel uses the same bolts as the automatic, just so you know and don't spend 30 bucks on them like I did, you will have them because the engine from mike was hooked to an auto.  If you end up using a dual mass flywheel setup I have a set of the longer bolts for that that you can have too.