WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1992 525it with an M30B35 Swap

Guest Laishes

Guest Laishes

Hey all!

Just traded my E30 for this guy:

More pics to come...

IMG_17721.jpg

So you're probably thinking... what the heck is so special about it?

Well, from the factory it was a 525it with an auto transmission; BMW didn't make E34 Wagons with the "big six" M30B35 motor. So one of the P.O's had to go through hell to swap it (yes, apparently its very hard to do on a 525it).

Whats done to it thus far:

Rebuilt M30B35 50k miles ago

Getrag 260/5 Manual trans

Brand new M5 Clutch

Brand new clutch master cylinder

brand new slave cylinder

Aluminum lightweight driveshaft

M5 Rear End

Wheel Studs

M5 LSD

Bilstein Shocks with H&R Springs

08 5 series wheels (Style 138 I believe)

Heavy duty sway bars front/rear

Poly Suspension bushings all around

Poly shifter bushings

Straight piped to an Eisenmann Muffler

Guest Laishes

Wow, seems like you got a good deal on the trade. 

Im guessing you traded the M50 with the car?  

I think I saw this for sale on Chicago CL a year or so ago

Yes I did

Straight trade?  Did you tell the new owner about the site?

He added a little cash to the trade; he was from illinois so no!

The car is relatively clean but one of the front fenders is dinged.

The car has a little surface door rust aswell as a tad on the rear quarter panels

The rockers look relatively clean

Guest Laishes

you and straight6pwr need to engage in a wagon race. 

Snap, I also decided that I would've missed the old 12v sound and backfires which is why I decided to trade. I think the M30 picks up where the M20 left off (timing chain + more displacement and reliable to 300k) and I thought it was cool to have in a wagon. Kaiser's car is quick but it was almost too smooth for my taste

Snap, I also decided that I would've missed the old 12v sound and backfires which is why I decided to trade. I think the M30 picks up where the M20 left off (timing chain + more displacement and reliable to 300k) and I thought it was cool to have in a wagon. Kaiser's car is quick but it was almost too smooth for my taste

I get to be an asshole now:

-Timing belts waste less power than timing chains

-An M20 timing belt change interval is 60k miles, that's  once every 4 years on your average daily driven vehicle. 

-Timing sprockets get worn down and timing chains jump timing (for any non-believers: http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/12565880-735i-(M30)-Timing-Chain-Jumped)

-Timing chains stretch, chain guides wear out, tensioners wear out, bad noises are had and you will end up having to dig into the car to replace them anyways (then factor in the cost of a new chain, new sprockets, and all other timing chain components since you are already in there and heaven forbid you tear into the engine this far ever again because you were trying to avoid this type of thing by purposely avoiding an engine with a timing belt).... this is more involved and far more money than your once every 4 years timing belt change would ever be.

-As of a month ago Gates started making a "racing" timing belt for the M20. not that any of the 500+hp  turbo M20s had problems with the stock belt anyways.

Theres nothing wrong with timing chains, they are a good thing, but there is also nothing wrong with timing belts. People that despise them are likely too cheap to do most other preventative maintenance either. 

/soapbox derby

Guest Laishes

I get to be an asshole now

When is this not the case ;)

I'm just afraid of the timing belts on these old cars.

P.O.s "say" it was done 20k ago but was it really? How would you ever know?

Having a timing chain is just extra assurance; not saying the belts are bad whatsoever--the m20 engine will go forever

Guest Laishes

sweet e34 touring.

the 5 speed is a great addition, although personally i would say the m30 is a backwards step from the m50.

i would love to ride in it sometime to see what a touring with suspension drives like compared to stock!

It rides O.K.

I wish it was lowered on coils but the H&Rs arent too bad.

Not too much body roll in the corners at all.

And I think the M30 is about on par with the M50 personally; the M50 is just more modern and "smooth"

We are turboing it I don't care what you say. 

Build thread:

some big injectors

walbro in tank-100

hx40-150-400

arp studs-200

ms2-300

cheap intercooler that fits-100-200

Ill build the manifold from scraps.

Some ebay clutch. 300 tops

DONE. Shits cheap. 

Hodge podge turbo builds are cool, if done on a car that no one gives 2 fucks about. but as a daily as well as a touring, I'd suggest going a legit build, if he were to even go turbo route.

Also, double check it's a B35 head. Could be a B34, not a biggie, but that little bit would go a long way! :D

Hodge podge turbo builds are cool, if done on a car that no one gives 2 fucks about. but as a daily as well as a touring, I'd suggest going a legit build, if he were to even go turbo route.

Please tell me an item on that list that isn't legit.... Well except the clutch, but many many people have had success with f1 clutches. 

Guest Laishes

I'm gonna build an e34 wagon with a big turbo m30 in it some day!! Mad jealous. Love e34 wagons. I've been looking forever for a manual one around here.

We are turboing it I don't care what you say. 

Build thread:

some big injectors

walbro in tank-100

hx40-150-400

arp studs-200

ms2-300

cheap intercooler that fits-100-200

Ill build the manifold from scraps.

Some ebay clutch. 300 tops

DONE. Shits cheap. 

Hahaha!

home brew manifold, for one. RARELY turns out well. and RARELY performs like it should. 

Cheap intercooler.

hx40 - still to big

Just saying. 

BUllllllllshit. 

Anything smaller than an hx40 and you would have full boost..... alll the time. I don't believe in turbo's in a daily that spool before 3500. Its just ridiculous. 

cxracing intercoolers have definitely been proven many many times, and there is no need for a 1000$ intercooler when you have a stock block. 

And you think I can't design a manifold? I wouldn't need to. Just copy a simple design. Sure I probably couldn't build the best twin scroll equal length manifold, but shit I have all the tools and materials to build a m30 manifold right now. 

Why else would I have bought a brand new tig welder?