WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Opinions of best midsized sedan

DrLeadFoot

The new Camry is excellent. I love to hate on Toyotas, as I am more of a Nissan guy but the 2.4L rental I had for a week had that sharp athletic Acura feel to it than the previous versions which (2004 and older especially) were made after what the Japanese think the Americans want. No, really, the 1993-1997 Camry was made extra wide and soft for the fat-bottomed American marketplace.

The 2.4 in the new Camry was tolerable, but Nissans VQ be damned, I think Toyota currently makes the best V6 you can buy. So make that a Camry V6 sport package for me. 

It is also one of the most, if not THE most American car currently made. So if your parents encounter any disgrtuntled union bosses spouting off how "they took er jerrbz!!!"  then there will be nothing to worry about after some brief educating about the state of the current domestic auto industry.

20009072411354714528.jpg

And plus, you can plaster it with Michael Waltrip stickers. 

Also,  Just say NO to Subaru. 

-interiors that make most Econo-cars seem fancy

-Cant build a decent NA engine, even with modern technology

-Cant build a reliable turbocharged engine

-AWD is neat but snow tires +2wd is superior

-The LGBT community only approves of the wagon versions

-Rowley has a Subaru

-Nope.avi

The car I owned prior to the BMW was a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT.  I found it to be the perfect sleeper, an approximately 550 crank HP 4 door family sedan.  I modded it at 38k miles and put 50k miles on it before selling ito a fellow enthusiast.  GREAT car for the money, and so damn mod-friendly.  The car was making that power with a conservative tune on a 100% stock longblock.  Some details on the car can be seen at http://jsalmi.com/car and http://jsalmi.com/car/mods.html ...

I chose the LGT because I wanted to avoid the 'boy racer' stereotype which comes along with the WRX/STI, and I'm a big fan of the sleeper.  The look on the v8 guys faces after being slapped down by a 4 door 4 banger was priceless. :)

The car was as reliable as I wanted / needed it to be.  Zero issues with the vehicle, but I drove it in a manner consistent with keeping the drive train intact.

IMNSHO, you really can't go wrong with a Subaru.

$0.02 worth.  

I'm with Pat on the Volvo, my brother has a 04 V70 2.5T AWD.  Had 150k on it, but in fantastic condition, and he paid $4500 for it, can't get much for that price these days.  It is a super nice car and has the I5 so it will run forever.  If they do look into Volvo's, stick with the P2 chassis, early V70's had some trans problems.

Guest Laishes

TDI will last forever. Maintenenance will be the most expensive for a VW though. Probably the best gas mileage.

Volvos have incredible build quality. Could put a decent dent in a semi. As stated above some of their automatics are shit.

Subaru's are good; however I don't like the MPG that they get, or their horsepower/liter. They're Japanese and reliable (even up to 300k like most toyotas) however have fun working on a boxer! Sparkplugs and headgaskets my friend.

IMHO get a Toyota. No bullshit; no problems, will last forever. FWD is good in the snow with snow tires. and it should cover all your parents needs. Or if they want a little more luxury lexus' are fantastic.

Diesels to me are looking more and more promising in the recent years however.

I'd stay away from anything domestic just because they don't seem to be up to par with build quality. Atleast during the recent years. Just look at the KBB.

The Volvo auto trans problems ended with the switch to the p2 chassis, which is 2000 and on, you can tell the difference pre vs post facelift.  A V70 will probably be our next family vehicle when our Maxima finishes it's process of "returning to dust whence it came."  The only downside for me is that unless you get an R (which would be crazy awesome) you can't get the manual paired with AWD.  And I need 3 pedals.

Go with the Volvo, but get a 04-08 v70 (and for god's sake get a turbo--either the 2.4t or the T5 are both great). By 2006 they had the AWD pretty well sorted, otherwise stay FWD. Even the v70 2.4t with the tiny turbo has a big fat pile of torque.

Don't look at 01-03's at all. As was previously mentioned, the autos are crap, and the interiors were crap also. 

...or go TDI, because diesel. 

The Volvo auto trans problems ended with the switch to the p2 chassis, which is 2000 and on, you can tell the difference pre vs post facelift.  A V70 will probably be our next family vehicle when our Maxima finishes it's process of "returning to dust whence it came."  The only downside for me is that unless you get an R (which would be crazy awesome) you can't get the manual paired with AWD.  And I need 3 pedals.

This unfortunately is not true. Early p2 chassis are the ones with the weak automatic transmissions, the vast majority of the p80 chassis were fine (save for a few of the oddball later production cars with 5 speed autos). 04-08 are great cars, though. Mechanically very solid, nice to drive, and the interiors had improved massively by then.

The V70R is great and all... but way way way more expensive to own and maintain than the lower trim level cars. 

This unfortunately is not true. Early p2 chassis are the ones with the weak automatic transmissions, the vast majority of the p80 chassis were fine (save for a few of the oddball later production cars with 5 speed autos). 04-08 are great cars, though. Mechanically very solid, nice to drive, and the interiors had improved massively by then.

The V70R is great and all... but way way way more expensive to own and maintain than the lower trim level cars. 

Yea that's what was in my head but not what came out, I meant post facelift v70.  Sorry for the misinfo.

Guest Laishes

I wouldn't get a bmw as a daily unless you don't mind paying for it. Gas/insurance and maintenance will be pricey. And if anything blows up its going to be $$. I'm assuming your parents are going to want AWD too so you'd have to get an X. Just my .02 cents

• 3 weeks later...

esaqe2ez.jpg

My parents ended up going the small suv route. This thing is awesome. 100% made in Germany unlike the ML. Which might be a two edged sword but time will tell. It was a loaner that only had 1,900 miles on it.

My parents looked at a lot of midsized suv's and the Volvo was their pick until Mr. Mercedes crashed the party.

My dad and I drove the GLK and a Volvo xc60. The Volvo had 7000 miles on it but you could hear the interior creek and pop when you went over small bumps. Imagine that noise at 80,000! The GLK is solid as a rock.

The GLK is a small truck but for what they need this will work. They might have to tune up their Tetris skills but that is better than driving the sloppy suspension'd, America market minded ML.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I daily an 04 v70r, 6 speed. Good car, no complaints aside from mpg being low. If I didn't have two kids and a dog to take around it would be an e39 m5 no question. When both kids are forward facing I'm thinking about jetty TDI wagon for the mpg, but will surely miss my 300hp and sweet orange leather interior.

Nice GLK, I've always liked the shape of those....

I drove a Subaru Legacy for a few years and while it's not a BMW, it is a good, safe and very reliable car.  Especially for the price paid.  If I were to purchase another car, not just another platform for modding, I'd seriously consider another Subaru.  It's not the best in class as far as MPG goes, but there are always trade offs.

$0.02 worth.